Platy keeps popping out fry with no other platys in tank?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmoor311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, this has happened 5 times now, she has given birth to 5 fry without any other platys to breed with...it is really strange and it is hard to take care of all the babies, last time I had fry one was too smal so a bigger one at it. So what is going on. She is housed with her 4 larger fry, 3 scissortail tetras, a dwarf gourami and an upside down catfish.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393457654.461326.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393457703.983745.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393457724.663096.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393457745.558489.jpg sorry for the blurry pics...

Platys, and most livebearers can store sperm for eight to ten months so in theory she can keep producing for that length of time.

Reactions: HN1
How will I tell if she in going to give birth soon, she only gives 1-2 fry

When its stomach gets big again and ovipositor becomes more visible.

How will I tell if she in going to give birth soon, she only gives 1-2 fry

If you look by her anal fin when her stomach starts getting large again, you will notice a darker patch. This will get bigger as she gets closer to giving birth. The bottom of her stomach will also become less round and more flattened. \_/ Somewhat like that.

Back
Top Bottom