Platy Mating Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a few new platies Now I have 4 females and 1 male. They are all happy and peaceful, I am just wondering about what to look for if any breeding will be goin on. Bom chika wow wow. lol Should I be playing any Barry White?

Any input would be appreciated!

What I've found with livebearers is.. if you have a male and female and they are in water, you will have fry at some point! They are literally the easiest fish to breed, IMO. Just give it some time and you will have more fry than you know what to do with.

If you want specifics on Livebearer mating behavior, here are some things to look for:

1. The Male will use his head / mouth to rub against the rear end of a female.

2. He will then make an effort to use his gonopodium (the long bottom fin) to inseminate the female.

Barry white....that's funny. My male just chases the female. She goes right, he goes right, she goes left, he goes left. she runs away from him, he follows her.

If you want specifics on Livebearer mating behavior, here are some things to look for:

1. The Male will use his head / mouth to rub against the rear end of a female.

2. He will then make an effort to use his gonopodium (the long bottom fin) to inseminate the female.

+1

You guys ever see two males do this? I have a male pair of HiFin variatus that mate.

You guys ever see two males do this? I have a male pair of HiFin variatus that mate.
When I was raising my guppy fry in my creche tank, males chased each other around almost more than the females. To be fair it was a small 2.5gal tank and there were around 40 little ones, short on space!

Back
Top Bottom