Platy Owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, today I purchased 1 red male wag, 1 female sunburst wag, and 1 female sunburst platy. I have them in a planted 20h. What can you tell me of some known behaviors.

Btw...post pic too if you can...

You don't want to hear of mine. 2 out of 4 are being bully's right now. lol. Most times though they are very peaceful and funny to watch.

I have 8 platy and they are just happy lil guys. They tend to swim near the top more than the rest of the tank the males are persistent in chasing the females. They are pigs! They know when it is feeding time and if I walk up to the tank they all crowd by me hoping I have food!

I love mine. They took a good 5 days or more to come around after adding them to the tank. They were very timid and spent a lot of time hiding.

They also weren't eating unless food floated down to them. After the first 5 days or so they really came around and now they are the most social fish in my tank. They great me every morning, they hang out with my Sunset gourami all the time.

At night they sit on the bottom in my plant cover and sleep. It's hard when I have a pregnant one because I've missed 2 batches of fry that were born over night because I miss took her hiding as sleeping at night.

They love peas and carrots too and often nibble on the algae growth around my tank

I love mine. They took a good 5 days or more to come around after adding them to the tank. They were very timid and spent a lot of time hiding.

They also weren't eating unless food floated down to them. After the first 5 days or so they really came around and now they are the most social fish in my tank. They great me every morning, they hang out with my Sunset gourami all the time.

At night they sit on the bottom in my plant cover and sleep. It's hard when I have a pregnant one because I've missed 2 batches of fry that were born over night because I miss took her hiding as sleeping at night.

They love peas and carrots too and often nibble on the algae growth around my tank

My 2 girls are acting shy...sitting at bottom in corner behind plants...when we all walk away...few minutes later they come out...but soon as they know we are back into the room...they go back and hide...I sprinkled a small tinch of bloodworms but you know the male went straight for them...lol...also how can I tell if they are prego because they are a little on the healthy side but idk...I will post a pic soon as I can get one with them all out...(will have to be sneaky I guess)

It can be hard to know if they are PG. Some platy are just bigger than others. Like my red wag, she is bigger than my 3 mickey mouse platy. Her non pregnant is bigger than them pregnant. lol. Mostly it's the belly that gives it. It will get bigger of course but then it has this change. It squares off. Instead of a gradual curve to the round belly it's more severe looking. This is usually in the end stages of pregnancy.

It can be hard to know if they are PG. Some platy are just bigger than others. Like my red wag, she is bigger than my 3 mickey mouse platy. Her non pregnant is bigger than them pregnant. lol. Mostly it's the belly that gives it. It will get bigger of course but then it has this change. It squares off. Instead of a gradual curve to the round belly it's more severe looking. This is usually in the end stages of pregnancy.

hmm...okay..thanks

hmm...okay..thanks

np. There is also the gravid spot that forms. Most people use this as a tell tail sign but 2 of my 3 haven't had the pronounced one I've read about and seen in pix. They say when they get close you can see the eyes of the fry, just little black dots through the back of the "belly" near the birth canal/tube.

np. There is also the gravid spot that forms. Most people use this as a tell tail sign but 2 of my 3 haven't had the pronounced one I've read about and seen in pix. They say when they get close you can see the eyes of the fry, just little black dots through the back of the "belly" near the birth canal/tube.

Is the gravid spot right behind the belly kinda redish?

Yeah I will post a pic if my currently ready to pop platy.

On my lighter fish the spot looks more darker and on my orange one it looks more reddish. Hope the pics help ya! I can try to get better ones if not ;)

Attachments

• image-2846595448.jpg
    image-2846595448.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1296282945.jpg
    image-1296282945.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 54
On my lighter fish the spot looks more darker and on my orange one it looks more reddish. Hope the pics help ya! I can try to get better ones if not ;)

yes I can see the spot right behind her belly..mine was bought today and I guess she is prego then...well this will be an experience....do you know how long they are prego before we should see fry?

Mine seemed to be pregnant forever like Over 30 days the first round. And she just gave birth on oct 1st and I think she is ganna give birth tonight but i could be wrong if not tomorrow def. She looks just like she did when she popped them out last time. Everything I read says about 28 days. I noticed her spot this time about 2 weeks ago.

Okay, here is this best pics I could get...she is just warming up to new environment so I had to zoom in to snap shot...what you think? prego?

She looks prego to me! But I am far from am expert but that is what might platy look like early on.

She looks prego to me! But I am far from am expert but that is what might platy look like early on.

Oh If so will she take care of her fry? or eat them?...what are your plans when yours are born? as you see I need some help...I never encountered this

Oh she will eat them! So will all tankmates! I only have 3 fry from my platys first batch. She started popping them out in the middle of the day and my son was horrified because the got gobbled up as quickly as they were falling out! I managed to net her out and she had a few more.

Back
Top Bottom