Platy variety: want to know this one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
First of all I don't know where to put this thread so I'll just put this here.

I have this platy in which I don't know it's variety name so I can't give more detailed information to someone who asks me about "What platy is this?" Or some questions like that nor search the net about this specific variety, can someone tell me the name of this variety?

Here is the pic:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Looks like a Lyre Tail . They come in Platys and Mollies .

Looks like a Lyre Tail . They come in Platys and Mollies .

They come in mollies too? Wow I have to find it. I only have sail fin molly and regular mollies xD

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would argue that fish is a swordtail. He? looks almost identical to this fish in my opinion, who according to google images, is a female lyretail swordtail.

female-lyretail-swordtail.jpg

Wait.... that is a female? Yea I can hardly tell which is a swordtail variety and which is platy variety. And the male looks like what? Or maybe the male is the regular swordtail

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't had mollies for a while) but if you look in the lower stomach area on it if it's a female it is likely to show a gravid spot - a dark area that shows livebearer pregnancy. Can't tell from your picture but as the commenter above said their picture displays a female for sure. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't had mollies for a while) but if you look in the lower stomach area on it if it's a female it is likely to show a gravid spot - a dark area that shows livebearer pregnancy. Can't tell from your picture but as the commenter above said their picture displays a female for sure. :)

Bluebetta's pic or my pic? Because if I see my fish again... My fish has no gravid spot... Probably because there is no male platy/swordtail in the tank.

I'd bet money that's a lyretail swordtail. Beautiful fish, but I can't tell from the photo if it's male or female.

Also, keep a good cover on the tank: swordtails are renowned jumpers. :eek:

Yeah... For some reason if the water height is low they jump often, but if I make the water level higher... They swim normally..... I mean I rarely see them jump actually.... For some reason.... Maybe they're obedient with me xD

Wait.... that is a female? Yea I can hardly tell which is a swordtail variety and which is platy variety. And the male looks like what? Or maybe the male is the regular swordtail

Ya, she is. Livebearers (platies, guppies, mollies, swordtails, endlers, etc.) are super easy to sex.

male_female11.jpg

Here are a group of male and female platies, easy to tell the differences.

http://http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/tropical-fish-images/platy-01.jpg

Generally speaking, platies are shorter in body than most swordtails. There are two species of platies, Xiphophorus maculatus and variatus, the variatus is a bit more slender bodied than the maculatus.

And I agree with the above poster, she is very pretty!

Bluebetta's pic or my pic? Because if I see my fish again... My fish has no gravid spot... Probably because there is no male platy/swordtail in the tank.

I was referring to bluebetta's but you'll see if your fish is pregnant if it has a gravid spot :) Or at least it's a sign!

Heard the male lyretail is sterile, So I need to find male swordtail then?

Back
Top Bottom