Platy with Bloated Belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The water temp stays constant at 78 degrees. No...I never have tested my tap water. How exactly would that impact things? Should I look specifically for Ph, hardness, and any Nitates?

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I am feeding them flakes, occasionally bloodworms, and now peas ( because of Patty's constipation)'

I wasn't upset, I just thought if you were only changing part of the water once a month, then that might explain her bloating.
You should test your tap water for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Yeah the stress from sudden hardness and ph changes could be part of the problem! Everything else seems good!

The Ph of the tank is 7.0 but the Ph of the water is 7.6. The ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites of the tap are all 0. Yes...Patty hangs around the heater a lot if she is not hiding under her rock. Our water is soft water.

My guppies and plattys loved the warmer water of the heater when they were pregnant maybe it just sounds like your going to grandparent soon

Would that explain her hiding and being so lacking in any desire to move around? She also does not want the other two Platys to be around her (they are both females). She is pathetic. I hope it is this and not something deadly to her health. So I do nothing but wait it out to see if she is going to have baby platys. She has no pine coning on her body ( though her body does not look as smooth and healthy as it did before). I am still concerned about her not pooing today.

She will get a gravid spot by her anal fin if she is prego just keep an eye on her and good luck!! Pregnancy and the stress it causes could be reason

Thank you greatly to dkpate and Medic for all of your very patient advice for my Platy health issues. I will keep you informed as to any updates in Patty's condition. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom