Platy With Ich, Nipped Fins, Swelling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, I'm really worried about my female platy. I have a 48 litre relatively new tank, I thought my tank had fully cycled (was at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10-20 nitrate, did fishless cycle dosing ammonia) so got 4 platys. the day after I put them in the 48 litre I noticed signs of ick. I called my LFS n they told me to get ick/white spot meds called WS3 which I did. All the platys perked up after two doses, this but one of my females was being severely picked on by my male and her fins were being nipped to bits, so I removed the male. The females fins look a mess and I've just noticed some slight swelling on one of her eyes and she also has white poop. She is active for the most part and is eating but does sit behind one of the tank ornaments on the substrate for long periods. Is this all because of the ick or could she have some other type of infection/parasite/disease?

I'm still dosing the ick meds (on 4th dose and one platy still has some spots)
I've had a sudden nitrite spike after 2nd dose of ick meds and now can't get it below 0.25-0.50 no matter how large or often my pwc are. Ammonia at 0 and nitrates at 10-20. If anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated as I'm really worried!

Here's a couple of pics of the female

Attachments

• image-182092402.jpg
    image-182092402.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image-2730662690.jpg
    image-2730662690.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 75
  • image-4070805110.jpg
    image-4070805110.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 77
Keep doing water changes would be my advice. If you do a 50% change, your nitrite should drop by half, unless you have nitrites in your tap water which isn't all that common.

It is possible there could be another issue besides the ich, but I am not sure what it would be at this point. Someone else might have some better ideas on it, but in the mean time clean water is the best thing you can do. Nitrite is even more poisonous to your fish than ammonia, so its presence will exacerbate any other issues with your fish.

Thanks :) I've managed to get it down below 0.25 but still slightly darker than the 0 colour on my test kit, going to do one more water change tonight. As for the female she's stopped bottom sitting and has been swimming around all day, still has a slightly misty swollen eye and still having some white poop, but as poops been kinda changing colour i'm starting to think its just the colour of the food? I've just noticed some white fuzz like stuff on one of my others heads though :/ so currently searching for what that might be... Suggestions? Had nothing but trouble with these fish, won't be using that LFS again

Back
Top Bottom