Platys and Mollies????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmurrell23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here is a question for all you pros out there, I have a 29 gallon aquarium with platys, mollies and live plants. I understand that mollies prefer a little salt in the tank, if I add salt would it affect the platys and plants???? If not, how much do I add???

dont know the answers to your questions. i think most plants are salt sensitive though

I strongly suggest not to add salt into the tank. They might prefer it, but deff don't need it. Like Tim said, the plants are very sensitive to salt.

For your other question mollies and platies come from the same sp. They are both livebearers, just like guppies, endlers, ect. They all prefer salt, but don't need it.

To be honest, they sell special salt for tons of different fish, almost all fish in there natural habbitat have salt, because of the rain. It's just in home-aquariums you really should be careful adding salt. I would suggest just not adding any.

Same here, I keep platys, mollies, swordtails ect.. and they bread like crazy. They are all perfectly happy without salt.

I have kept mollies in salted tanks in the past and am keeping them now without salt. I can't see any difference in the mollies at all. The platies and plants, on the other hand, do not fare as well with salt in the water. What both platies and mollies do need is water with a somewhat high dissolved solids concentration. Where I am that is pretty easy to come by since the tap water varies from about 12 to 16 german degrees of GH depending on the time of year and the KH runs about 10 degrees. My mollies do things like this to me if I separate them from the community tank where all the fry get eaten. These fry are 24 days old in the picture, mom has stayed with them since their birth.

img_953901_0_cff55dbb021681324bf1bd1017bd2259.jpg

Back
Top Bottom