Playground sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of setting up another tank and wanted to use a sand substrate. Can I use playground sand like the stuff sold at Home Depot?

I haven't used play sand but I have used pool filter sand on a couple of my saltwater tanks. :)

Sure. I have play sand in one of my tanks. Just be sure to wash it really well. It's very dusty out of the bag.

I just installed a new tank with Qwikrete medium grain sand , it is kiln dried and 100lbs for 7.50. And white.

QUIKRETE® - Sand - Commercial Grade

Wash, wash, wash, wash, wash, then wash some more even when the water looks crystal clear!...

My friend did hers as well was both were a little cloudy but within 9 hours when I had got home from work it was all clear! Hers was the same. Looks nice you can see the tank on my profile, I think.

I've used Quikrete's Premium playsand at Home Depot. I'd recommend the pillow case trick for cleaning it. Dump 10-20lbs in a pillow case, put a garden hose in and keep stirring the sand until the water runs clear out of the bottom. It is sooo much easier than cleaning it in a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom