Please help!!! Can i move a 75 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have done some Renovations in my house and now it turns out my 75 gallon saltwater tank would look good else where in the house. It's just from one room to another. I have 100 pounds of live rock and about 50 pounds of live sand. If I empty out the water and remove the rocks, fish etc... And just leave the sand in there would I be able to lift the tank and move it over to the other area on a new stand? Not using the old one I don't think it's too strong anyways. Getting a pine stand.
So would this be ok the weight of the sand left in the tank? Ofcourse not moving it alone will be two or three people lifting it.
Please help if this is the right way or is there any other way I can achieve this....

I could leave the tank where it is but risk my kids wacking there Wii remotes on the tank arrgggg

Please help

As long as you keep the sand and rock and filters wet it should be fine. I moved a 75 gallon with 50lbs of sand in it when I moved my lizards tank by myself so just get a few people to help. I dont see any real issues with damaging the tank. Just don't stir up the sand to much putting the water back in.

tell your kids to move thier wii...its alot lighter than the tank...

***edit*** im joking of course....

Anyone else???

My husband is gonna bulid a new stand and I thought I'd get a 90 gallon tank and then let t cycle and then transfer everything? And sell off my old stand and tank

That will work. As previously posted, leave everything wet. Moving a tank with any real weight in it has a risk of damaging the tank, depending on what and how it is made.

You might get a mini cycle.. I recently moved my 75 gl from the very top of my house to the 1st floor.. Ended up hAving a mini cycle of some sort.. Try n keep as much of your old wAter as possible and when adding it try to do it slowly so the sound wont kick up ad much.. I think thats where i went wrong

Agree with the above all should be good with moveing it. When adding the water back it put a bowl on the sand so the water dosnt hit the sand directly. one thing that would case a minni cycle would be mixing the sand and relessing alot of nitrates. Just take your time and you should heve no problem

Back
Top Bottom