Please help :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leanneski19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, i would love to start up a marine tank, with fish and invertabrates, I have researched what i need in to set up the tank, but I am uncertain how to do water changes, I am also uncertain about what kinds of coral, rocks or plants are compatable which what types of fish??? any advice would be gratefully appreciated for these two quieries :D

Welcome to the site!
You should look around and see what interests you and then we can go from there. Your questions can bring up many ideas.
Check out
liveaquaria.com
thatpetplace.com
vividaquariums.com
saltwaterfish.com

Those are some decent sites to browse and give you some ideas.

...I have researched what i need in to set up the tank, but I am uncertain how to do water changes,...

Boiling it down to the basics, you siphon a certain amount of tank water out and replace it with the same amount of "new" salt water that's at the same salinity and temp as the water you took out.

What exactly are you uncertain about regarding water changes?

ThanQ, I read something on another site about adding aged tap water, salt, saltwater, and other chemicals and it got a bit confusing :D

Oh... they were probably talking about adding buffers and/or calcium to get the water parameters where you want them. While that may be something you'll get into later down the road, you don't need to worry about it at this stage. Many folks (including me) "tweak" their salt water instead of using it exactly as it mixes up. For me, I want to run a little higher calcium than what my mix gives me.

Adding a little more to my last post, once you mix your salt mix into your plain water, you want to "age" that for a day or so. This will insure everything is dissolved AND allow the pH of the water to stabilize. The pH of freshly made salt water is higher than normal and after a day it will stabilize to where it should be. Most folks store a certain amount of premixed salt water in a plastic food-grade tub of some sort, with a heater and powerhead in it to provide aereation and to bring it up to your tank's temperature. Real handy in case you need to do an emergency water change, or set up a quarantine tank on a moment's notice.

Welcome to AA. We will be glad to help you along the way! Taking your time and reseaching every step of the way will make a big difference in your success and amount of headaches. Ask lots of questions and don't make snap decisions.

Browse though the photos on the site and get some ideas. It is always easier to follow something that works rather then trying to reinvent the wheel.

Read the articles in the SW article section on this site. Be sure to read the thread that melosu58 linked. Come back and post your questions as they arise. Lots of friendly folks here willing to help.

welcometoaa.gif

Live aquaria has a chart you can click on that will give you a ruff idea of compatibility between fish. So you can pick out some that you like and check that chart. Once you do that bounce your list off the people here and they will be able to give you much more detail on the fish you have picked out and their personality/ any special needs. Although personalty from fish to fish does change so there is no solid rule for each fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom