Please help i wanna set up a 46 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISHGUY40219

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been reading a little bit about saltwater tanks, and i really want to set up a nice reef tank. I am buying a 46 gallon (was gonna make it a freshwater tank) im a little confused on how everything work in a reef tank. I am very familar with freshwater tanks.

3051_9.JPG

The mains things im really confused about is the equipment and want i will need. I've been reading about the lighting, UV sterilizers, Refugiums, power heads, and protein skimmers.

what will i need to set up a tank exaclty like the one above? Filtration? Lighting? protien skimmer? uv sterilizer? what kind of substrate? ect.I'm really dead set on sitting this tank up, i found myself at the LFS today staring and i didnt want to leave lol. Thanks for all the help!!!!

As far as Biological filtration I used a skimmer and LR only for many years. Since I`ve set up my 125 I also have a refugium added. IMO this is all the filtration you`ll need for a reef tank. Lighting will depend on what type corals you want to get. I keep medium light corals in my tank and use VHO`s. You can check out my gallery to see my corals. If you plan on clams or SPS corals then you`ll need MH`s for lighting.The main thing you will need to know at the start is your cycle. Here is a good article

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
You found the right place to begin your research. They best advice I can give to you is to do all of the reading you can before you get started. Pick up a good book on SW tanks to keep as a reference. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fener. Research, research research! Once you get to a point that you can start asking more specific questions, we will be able to help out a bit more. things to consider...filtration, cycling, lighting and stocking as you get started.

Back
Top Bottom