Please Help Im sooo confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hylywytt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok when I started my tank 2months ago I was told that I should do a water change and vacume the gravel 1 time per week then today I was told to only do it once a month ....
So my question is how often should this be done and how often do I change the filter I'm trying do this right but i've heard so many different things I dont know what to do so ant help would be great

You change the water weekly or as much as needed per week to keep nitrate at it under 20ppm and ammonia and nitrite at 0. Never change the filter. It contains the bacteria colony keeping the tank cycled.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I totally agree with you! This is the advice that I would go with. In the beginning I made the mistake of changing out my filters regularly. Now I know better, I do keep a few extra on hand just in case I have one that is so bad that I can't keep using it. I have two filter cartridges in my filter. So if one does have to be replaced at least I still have beneficial bacteria on the other one.

I had no idea but thanks for the advice I haye it when it gsts out of wack and I havnt dont anything always sad when I loose fish

That's why regular water changes are essential. It helps keep toxins low which will improve your fish's health. Changing the filter will cause the tank to be in a constant cycle and causes great stress on the fish.

Ok and when u say water xhange do I vacume the gravel too and if no how often do I do that ??? (and my fish poo alot)

Back
Top Bottom