please help me choose a dwarf cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do?? I'm totally doing that if it's a legit practice..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I do, brooding females will use it too. It kind of distracts them from attacking another female trying to get away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

got a decent photo of the larger female, the one i wasnt sure about. the male is picking on her quite a lot, nipping/chasing etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 58
got a good shot of the male, too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 60
ok, i really need some help with this one..

i was just looking at the tank...noticed on the underside of the rock, where i was noticing the female moving gravel, that there are eggs stuck to the underside of the rock. the eggs are pink.

i was trying to get a photo of them when the male came in and started eating the eggs. the female isnt guarding them or anything.

i didnt even know that she was ready for a spawn, and i figured that when she did eventually spawn, that she would flip the switch and scare the male off. he has been beating on her all day.

soooooo, any thoughts on this? what should i do? im thinking maybe i should put that glossy background up or try the mirror thing.

here is the male about to eat the eggs from the underside of the rock.

please advise. is it strange the female is not protecting them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 62
i put the background back up, and the male is spending more time getting puffed up for his reflection...should give the female a little reprieve. it's funny, he doesnt bother with the smaller female at all, but spends a good part of the day chasing and biting the larger one.

good to know that they only need a little practice to get the spawning thing down. thanks again.

New African Lake Malawi cichlids tank.

10/10/2014 my tank fully cycled, had 3 repeat test ammonia drop from 4.0ppm to 0.0ppm within 24 hours, and 2.0ppm within 12 hours.

11/10/2014 stock 10 African Lake Malawi cichlids size 1.5-2.5inc and 3 Golden Sucking Catfish size 1.5-2inc. and the water condition as following
pH 7.4
Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Nitrite 0.0ppm
Nitrate -5.0ppm
GH 89.5ppm
KH 89.5ppm
Tanks setting:
I have 3 plants, one big driftwood (L35cm xH20cmxW10cm), 2 heaters 100w+50w, water temperature at 28C. Have 4L/m air pump, and Eheim 2217 filer.
I did lot research on Google, all most all African lake Malawi chlorides tank do not have plants and driftwood size ((L35cm xH20cmxW10cm). should I removed my driftwood out or reduced size to half. I am looking/seeking help to increase my pH to 8.0, GH to 200-240ppm, KH to 200-210ppm.
13/10/2014 night at 7pm test water reading are:
pH 7.4
Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Nitrite 0.0ppm
Nitrate -7.5ppm
GH 89.5ppm
KH 53.7ppm
Add 3pic of Texas Holey Rock approx. 6.1kg. Added 1 tablespoon of backing soda and 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt dissolved with tank water. I will contumely add 1 tablespoon of backing soda and 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt for 7 days until it reached to the water condition suitable for African Lake Malawi cichlids.
And please give me some your experiences how you do and what you going to do for that.​

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

feeding questions:

i have two foods. the new life spectrum cichlid formula sinking pellets, and some omega one flake food.

i have been feeding mostly the pellets, but get a little frustrated with them. seems like a lot of times my fish do not notice them and they end up sinking fast and in the substrate uneaten. they seem to get most of the flake food.are these both good food options? are the pellets better? should i keep trying with them?

Since you are using gravel instead of sand, the flakes might be a better option. Are you also feeding any live or frozen foods?

Since you are using gravel instead of sand, the flakes might be a better option. Are you also feeding any live or frozen foods?

i have only been feeding the flakes for the most part, after trying the pellets and seeing too many of them sinking to the bottom uneaten.

will probably pick up some frozen foods soon to mix up their diet.

the smaller female is looking great...turning quite yellow. i think she will spawn before too long.

Petco has frozen spirulina brine shrimp, great for the apistos, frozen blood worms once a week is nice too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hopefully soon you'll be seeing something like this

Attachments

• 1413843604249.jpg
    1413843604249.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 54
wow, i have not yet seen yellows like that. i will try to get some photos of each of them tonight after dinner and post them up....i have noticed lots of colors coming in on all of them.

Although I have bitaeniata not cacatuoides, the females coloration will be similar just different black markings.

My other female, can't get a good pic of eggs as she laid them in a hole in the wood

Attachments

• 1413848942293.jpg
    1413848942293.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 54
Here is a wild caught cacatuoides in breeding dress.

Attachments

• Apistogramma cacatuoides-3411.jpg
    Apistogramma cacatuoides-3411.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom