Please help me identify the small white dots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C0ST

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please take a look at the picture and tell me what you think that is? I have a 30l freshwater Aquarium with 8 shrimp and 4 snails in it. The snails shouldnt be able to breed, thats what the dude at the store said.
Thanks for any answers!
Oh, and dont mind the algea, cleaning day is tomorrow.IMG_20200814_113620.jpeg

Are they nerite snails? They will breed in freshwater but the eggs wont hatch. They look like nerite snail eggs.

The eggs are a pain to get off driftwood. I periodically take the wood out and spend a couple of hours picking them off with a dental scalpel. Its easier to get them off the glass.

Oh, yes that could be the case. I think he said something along the lines of "they will breed but they can't duplicate in freshwater". I was scared there for a second, because i had another tank a few years back that was overrun by INCREDIBLE amounts of snails that had snuck in when i bought some new fish for it. I'm guessing it's gonna be a pain in the *** to get the eggs off the rocks. Anyways, thank you for the answer :)

Ive never had them lay eggs on rocks. Getting them off driftwood is a chore, to the point where i would never put nerite snails in with driftwood again.

To hatch, they need brackish water. Ive often wondered about breeding them. They sell for £6 each in some stores and there is often a local shortage. Maybe i could part fund my hobby by breeding snails.

Sounds interesting! Good luck with that if you decide to go through with it, and thanks again for your help. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom