Please help me make up my mind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilster1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 20 Gal reef.. reef because I have 2 star polyp colonies and a thriving carpet anemone (2 damsels and a coral beauty, 2 peppermint shrimp and various snails/hermits as well). Here's the issue.. I have a 55 gal tank and wet/dry on its way and I need to switch. The 20 has about 30# of LR, a fluval 104 canister, MJ1200 powerhead and a coralife 65 super skimmer. obviously I don't have enough LR or substrate for the 55 so I intend to get another 30# of LR and another 40# of arag-alive to make up the difference. Should I:

A: Set up the 55 and let it cycle before moving everything
B: Move everything, add extra LR and LS and run the fluval for a while durning the transition to keep the cycle to a minimum

The reason I'm having this quandary is because of where my tank is/will be set up.. I have a old wet bar that hold the current tank and I need to set up the new tank in the same place. I'm not Mr. Incredible so I can't easily pick up and move the 20.. how bad might my cycle be if I choose option b?

hmmm...can you empty out some of the 20 gallon water and get someonle to help you move it to the floor or something? Option B isnt too good When i bought my live rocks they werent even cured yet i had to do everythign my self. Also with new substate you water is gonna be dumb foggy! IMO i would some how move the 20g then put the 55 up and take your time to set everything up. Patience is a virtue.

Cover the SB with a plastic bag before you add water, place a bowl on the bag and fill the tank by pouring the water into the bowl. If you go slow you will have near clear water when done, no sand storm.
I would not try and cycle a new tank with fish and an anemone, the anemone is the big issue becaue they need good quality water. What kind of lights are going on the new tank?
Move the 20 and go from there you will be glad you did in the long run. Rushing this is only going to cause you more troubles.

I don't know if you have the space in the current location to move the 20 out of the way and put the 55 in place. If so, get a couple of those miracle mover things they sell at HD. Pry up each corner and slide one underneath. You'll then be able to slide the tank out of the way pretty easily. I did this with my 150gal sump. Prying up the corners was a bit of a strain, but once the movers were in place the whole thing slid rather easily. If you don't have any place on the bar to move the tank to, maybe you could set up a platform right next to it and slide the current 20 onto that.

As fas a the sandstorm problem, I usually empty the bag of sand into an old salt bucket. I place that bucket into a larger tub. I then slowly "rinse" the sand, letting all of the loose sludge and scum pour out over the top. It really helps reduce cloudiness.

Whatever you do, I would definitely suggest cycling the new one.

I moved 30 gallon into a 90 gallon. I transferred a the contents into the new tank by placing the livestock and rock into a large rubbermaid container fist. After tranferring the old water into the new tank and filling up with new water, in went the rock and finally the livestock. I did reacclimate.

There will ne a mini cycle of diatoms, but that should be about all that happens. Your bacteria is in place. I would also not clean the filtration , but instead run it in the new tank. The media will be full of beneficial bacteria as well.

Good luck,
JG

You probably will go through a small cycle but as seaham said dont put the livestock through it. Good luck.
PS nice Orange tube coral John S

Ok, here's another idea that may work if the measurements are right..

I could turn the 20 sideways and push it to the side. if I can fit the 55 next to the 20, I could keep the 20 as a refugium next to the 55. I guess the best way to get water in/out of both tanks is two powerheads of equal strength, one in the 55 pushing to the 20 and one in the 20 pushing to the 55.

What does anyone think?

Back
Top Bottom