Please help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sophieb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got my tank about 2 months ago now, it is a 30L tank. I started with a Betta which got fin rot (being a new fish owner I didn't notice) and had died within a week.
I since bought a betta, 2 mollys, and had 6 cardinal tetra.
The new betta then got fin rot, I assumed he was stressed when the other fish got added, so I added the medicine which I had, from before. And I thought I had cured it.
Then a week later I noticed my tetras had all developed Ich while I had been away for only one night and one had already died.
I went to the pet shop and got a medicine for that, came back and did a water change and added it. Within 2 days all 6 tetra were dead :((. I then noticed that my betta has either got fin rot again, or not quite recovered. The medicine for the Ich says you need to add it for 7 consecutive days, although now all my fish which had white spot are dead, can I stop that and add the fin rot medicine?? Although I'm worried if I do that the others will all get Ich.
I can't add them both at the same time can I?!
I also think I'm doing something wrong, I also just noticed that one of my mollys has got a popped out, white eye. I went to get my water tested at the pet shop but they said it was all ok.

Help!!!!

Unfortunately the results of the water test you get at a store are probably not going to be anything other than "ok." The employees really don't have the time to do the tests correctly.

Do a partial water change using treated tap water. I'm a big fan of Seachem Prime.

Which fish do you still have alive? The betta and mollies? What is your filtration? Temperature?

What medicines are you using?

Sorry to hear about that. from what I read it sounds like a simple fix to a complicated problem. do water changes, your tank is a baby and the bio is new so when you introduce the medicine into your tank it does what it is designed to do (which is kill microorganisms) the medicine cant tell what is beneficial of harmful it just kills everything. change your water, stay on top of your maintenance and you will be surprised how much this will help. give me some specs about your setup and I will gladly walk you through it.

I have a biorb (I have heard since buying it about them not being a great tank... but too late now) The filtration system is just the built in one at the bottom of the tank, and then I have a heater which is just supposed to automatically check my water temperature every second and keep it st the right temperature...

Yes I have 2 mollys left and one betta, I am hoping to replace the tetras but I will sort out these problems first!

To treat the water I use tap safe by Love Fish

The medicine for the white spot that I was using is Pimafix, and for the fin rot it is Interpet (I don't know if this is enough for you to go by, let me know if you need any more details)

Also do you suggest me buying the different strips and testing it myself then?

Most here recommend the api freshwater master test kit, it has liquid chemicals and test tubes. It is much more accurate than the stripes and also tests for ammonia. It is more expensive to start, but in the long run its a better value because your able to take better care of your tank, lose less fish, and it will last longer.

In my opinion they're the most important piece of equipment for fishkeeping.

I have a biorb and its ok its the 60l which is about 16 gallons. from what you posted sounds like old fashioned new tank syndrome. tool man is right get a test kit and keep an eye on your water specs. with the pima fix and the melafix you want to do a substantial water change after the use. for the betta. with the fin damage you could use the melafix but I almost never do. water changes and stress coat will do the trick just remember dont stress out and do too much you have to let your tank settle in. in my experience, water changes are the key to success. bettas are pretty resilient fish. I would wait to get any tetras. but the mollies should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom