Please help, PH 8.4 in pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neo79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Water test the pond this morning with API fresh water master kit.

Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 8.4 :confused:

Test the tap water too last couple of days and both times results were-
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 7.6

It has been raining here last few days on and off.

Could it be anything to do with the rain?

The pond been up and running around 10 weeks.
First 3 koi (3-5" long) went in 4 weeks a go, added 3 more last sunday.

Ammonia 0.25 (same as tap water)

I read somewhere it said if tap water have chloramine in it sometimes shows up low Ammonia.

Any advice would be grateful, many thanks :)

I wouldn't worry about that pH. Koi like water that is hard and alkaline.

I did the test again this morning and it reads the same.

I also read a few threads online and they say there shouldn't be any ammonia in tap water!

So if do anymore water changes I'll only be adding more ammonia into the pond perhaps?

Also is it normal to have ZERO readings on both Nitrite and Nitrate?

Not on nitrate. Most likely you are doing the test wrong. That one is known for being so complicated and messing up one step a little will give you false 0. Try it again, this time read through the instructions very carefully and follow them to the letter.

It is common for tap water to have some ammonia (as well as nitrate) and as you stated there is ammonia in chloramine that some dechlorinators do not take care of. Which dechlorinator are you using? You may want to switch to prime if you are not already using it. It takes care of the ammonia asssociated with chloramine and is cheaper.

Hi.

I used API Water conditioner when I do water changes.

I used API freshwater master kit.

I shook the Nitrate bottles as stated and filled 10 drops from bottle 1 and tipped the tube with 5 mm of pond water upside down twice then added 10 drops from bottle 2 and tipped the tube upside down twice and let it stand for 5 minutes.

And everytime its yellow which is 0.

***edit***

I get readings of Nitrate when I test my tanks and follow the same steps.

It seems strange not to have any Nitrate in the pond.

I'm confused and a little worried.

My friend who has been keeping koi for 12 years tested the water for me last Tuesday using his API FW MASTER KIT and got same readings.

Ammonia isn't rising so it should mean there is bacteria in the water still?

Is there a lot of lagae or plants? They can consume nitrate and theoretically get it down to undetectable. This is unlikely, but possible. You shook bottle #2 for 30 seconds and then after adding #2 you shook the test tube for 60 seconds, right? That test kit has not expired, correct?

Hi,

There are algae around the pond, no plants.

The water is "gin" clear.

I test my tanks the same way and it detected Nitrate of 20 in one tank and 10 in another tank.

Just checked the test kit and can't see expiry date anywhere on the bottles or on the card and leaflets.

After adding no.2 I didn't shake for 60 seconds. My friend told me to only tip it upside down a couple of times and let it stand for 5 mins.

When I test again in the morning I'll shake the tube for 60 seconds?

Also I just test the pond water with API test strips.

It reads

Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 8
GH- 180
KH- 240

You can guess better than the strips.

Yes, next time shake the bottle for 60 seconds after adding reagent #2.

I read this somewhere-
It is not at all uncommon for water to come out of the tap with a low pH only to have it rise in the pond, even with a rubber liner. Many municipal supplies are from water wells, which commonly contain elevated CO2 levels. High CO2 content will lower the pH from the tap, but once it enters the pond it will begin to exchange the CO2 for O2 and the pH will rise. Moving from 7.4 to 8.4 is about average so don't be concerned about that. If you take a sample from the tap and simply leave it in an aerated bucket for a few hours you'll be able to test the rise in pH outside the influence of the pond itself to verify this.

This is true. Most tap water (city or private well) is neutralized so it is around 7.0 when it goes through the pipes (preventing deposits and erosion). This is not permanent and usually within a day or two will go back to its natural chemistry.

I wouldn't be to concerned with the ph . Koi are very hardy fish and seem to manage better than most other pond fish. The water parameters that are important is Ammonia levels and Nitrite. Keep these as close to 0ppm and your fish will be fine. I have been doing ponds for many years now.

Back
Top Bottom