Please help pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, I ended up getting only the salts and a bacterial treatment:/ PetSmart didn't have fry food, nor the fry net or breeder OR AIR PUMP. I was pretty disappointed. The woman there seemed experienced and she told me about a good treatment for the dying fish and fungus and she apologized for not having the products I needed in stock. She also said that if I treat them and then do a 15-20% water change I should just come back to the store to check the parameters. I was going to get he test kit anyways but she insisted on not buying it(they only had the strips anyways). She tested my water and said it's a bit stressed with ammonia but it should be fine after the treatment. My father also did a large water change last week that I forgot to mention, about 50%, not sure why, and she said that May have been the cause for the ammonia to spike. Thanks for everything fellow fish keepers and I'll hope to keep you all posted with my tank(and the fry!!!!).

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Did she give birth??

(A good way to find a better fish store is to just google "[town name here] fish store" and check the first couple pages of results)

Did she give birth??

(A good way to find a better fish store is to just google "[town name here] fish store" and check the first couple pages of results)

Nooo:(:(:( I'm getting ahead of myself:p IM SO EXCITED!!!!!! I decided I'll just feed them crushed up pellets or an egg yolk formula. thanks! I'll look it up. Normally I go to Big Al's which has a wide selection of products and healthy fish but it's really far so I'll have to go over the weekend. I know this is the third time I asked, but WHEN WILL SHE GIVE BIRTH?!?!?! OMG I'm just so excited sorry first time with mollies:) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405454376.572433.jpg

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Still the next couple of days. If you really want I can send you pictures of my guppy and platy fry lol

Still the next couple of days. If you really want I can send you pictures of my guppy and platy fry lol

Are you sure that wiggling/shaking is normal for the molly? My mom just came home and she said that the molly looks kind of sick. She's stating near the bottom a lot and I don't know if it's only a sign of pregnancy.

Also, should mollies have straight fins/tails or fanned out fins/tails? My orange molly has a straight tail and straight out fins. I don't think it's normal.

Update: the pregnant molly is at the bottom of the tank and she isn't coming up. Please help!

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Yep. Sitting near the bottom to be out of sight, flaring fins to look larger and like less of a target for predators, and the wiggling is them trying to push the babies out.

Yep. Sitting near the bottom to be out of sight, flaring fins to look larger and like less of a target for predators, and the wiggling is them trying to push the babies out.

The molly isn't flaring, his fins are straight and stuck to his body. The molly still hasn't given birth yet though:/

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

The molly isn't flaring, his fins are straight and stuck to his body. The molly still hasn't given birth yet though:/

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Hey me again from other post you put up... Lol... Relax the Molly seems to be doing normal things for a pregnant Molly. Soon she will start swimming up and down (normally in a corner I find) like a crazy thing, this is a sign she is getting ready.

As for the fins unless they are starting to rot or fall off I wouldn't worry. Molly's are very hardy fish. Even they fry are tough as old boots. Molly's do like slightly brackish water as well so some salt in to treat the mysterious illness would do them some good. But make sure it's not loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In my experience they tend to either flare up completely, or have their fins just flat against themselves. I've never had any swim around when its about to happen though. They normally look for shelter or just sit near the gravel.

Hey me again from other post you put up... Lol... Relax the Molly seems to be doing normal things for a pregnant Molly. Soon she will start swimming up and down (normally in a corner I find) like a crazy thing, this is a sign she is getting ready.

As for the fins unless they are starting to rot or fall off I wouldn't worry. Molly's are very hardy fish. Even they fry are tough as old boots. Molly's do like slightly brackish water as well so some salt in to treat the mysterious illness would do them some good. But make sure it's not loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thank you:) I'm sorry I'm just really anxious for her to let out! She actually just started swimming up and down in the front left corner of my tank...is this a sign?!?!?! Don't worry, I followed the measurements for the salt:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

In my experience they tend to either flare up completely, or have their fins just flat against themselves. I've never had any swim around when its about to happen though. They normally look for shelter or just sit near the gravel.

Now, her fins are flaring, she's found a corner in my tank and she's very RAPIDLY swimming up and down. She's hiding behind one of the plants now and now she's back to up and down. Poor molly XD

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I'll take Sid's word and say that the swimming in the corner is a birthing sign. She's probably going to give birth tonight.

I'll take Sid's word and say that the swimming in the corner is a birthing sign. She's probably going to give birth tonight.

Oh I do hope so! She's resting now with the male molly behind my log. I hope I'll wake up to newborns :)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

If you do, put them in a breeder of some sort. Mollies have big mouths and can easily swallow up babies. At least 3/4 usually make it though.

If you do, put them in a breeder of some sort. Mollies have big mouths and can easily swallow up babies. At least 3/4 usually make it though.

Oh I didn't tell you? I have a mesh breeder box:p that's why I said that I shouldn't get the one you recommended me. I got a net for the fry too. I'm thinking of feeding them egg yolk because my LFS doesn't have infusoria or fry food.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

All I feed my fry is homemade, get some old aquarium plant matter and put it in a jar of water and put it in the sun. After a day or two dump a bit of the water into the aquarium, it will have microorganisms that the fry will eat. Then just refill the water you poured out with tap water and put it back outside.

All I feed my fry is homemade, get some old aquarium plant matter and put it in a jar of water and put it in the sun. After a day or two dump a bit of the water into the aquarium, it will have microorganisms that the fry will eat. Then just refill the water you poured out with tap water and put it back outside.

Oh, handy! Does it have to be from my aquarium? Can it be from some vegetables I have such as lettuce or one of my leave plants outside? I'll clean them before of course.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Anything will work. Well, most things. Think of it this way: If you wouldn't put it in the aquarium with your fish, don't put it in the jar. So lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, any of that should do okay. I know that aquarium plants do better though.

If you ask this because you don't have plants, I recommend getting some. They use fish waste as their food, they oxygenate the tank, and they take care of needing to vacuum the gravel. They're cheap as well, and you can get plants that do good in almost any light spectra.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom