Please Help Sick Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davekyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
The roots from my Anoubis plants seem to be acumalating a lot of mossy like substance. The photo does not show it well, although without the moss developement now present you would see a more defined roots structure than the pics show.

The moss seems to be filling in the space between the roots with each passing day and or weakening indavidual ones.

It also seems to be spreading to other plant roots?

Should I rinse these plants under water?

I also have noted a sickish looking (Behaviour) corry that Ive seen eating
it?

Please adivse on what to do, before prob gets worse.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• moss_root_system_951.jpg
    moss_root_system_951.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 16
  • mossy_root_system_288.jpg
    mossy_root_system_288.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 19
Not sure due to the quality of the pics, but it looks like there's some Java Moss in with your Anubias roots which has been spreading. If you don't like the way the moss looks mixed in with the roots of the Anubias you could take the time to remove the moss, however it isn't likely to actually hurt it either way.

Could you describe the behaviour of your Cory in more detail? I find it unlikely that it would be due to eating any of the moss. There's probably something else going on with it.

Thanks,
Yea, my camera sucks. I,ll try to describe it some more.

In closer ot looks
Hairy/Fury tendrils spreading in the gaps of closly grouped stems giving off more of a purply brown colour. I'll keep an eye out to see how fast its spreading!

The albino corry? (WAS just lying in a log doing nothing)
seems to be doing a lot better since I change the water. He/She was not simply hanging with the other 2 of its own kind. (they were a trio) Hiding out in the bottom of the tank, ussualy in a hidding spot, in the corner.

I just fed them and its eating and swimming about. For some reason the other two seem to be a pair with the other doing its own thing. The two seem more active and the other sniffing about in the corners hear and there.

It obviously needed a water change and its only now that I realy notice this ugly greeny brown crap cling to my plants.

Sounds like perfectly normal Cory behavior to me. Cories do prefer being in a group. If you were to up their numbers to six that might help. Another thing to keep in mind is that as the larger species of cory mature, they tend to become less active and spend more time just hanging out. Could be that the third cory is a little older and just starting slow down some.

The more than I look at your picture, the more certain that I am that it's Java Moss. There was probably a small tendril attached to the Anubias when you bought it. This stuff can spread from the smallest piece. I had some hitchhike in with some of my other plants. I don't particularly like or want it so I remove it when I find it, but a few months down the road there always seems to be another piece appearing. Luckily it isn't anywhere near as invasive as Duckweed.

All seems to AOK,
I think your right. The corry is fine and the moss in holing itself for the time being. Ive seen the corry nible at it at times, but I dont think its hurting him. Infact if I,m lucky others might also nible from time to time.

I guess I over/reacted when suddenly after a water change I could see alot more of what was really in the tank:)

Cheers

Looks like algae to me, although the picture is not clear enough to be sure. If it is you can try removing it by hand .

Ditto Purrbox on the Java moss theory. It can spread and entangle other plants. It seems too large and mossy to be hair algae, IMO. But a better picture would help. :)

As for the cories, mine "play dead" all the time. They are actually just resting. They like to find a nice fluffy cabomba leaf to nest in. I actually had to tap the glass one time because I thought one was dead (I couldn't see any gill movement and the eyes were still), and he just wiggled indignantly, then swam off. I obviously woke him up. Well, the theory goes that fishes don't actually sleep, but cories come closest to sleeping of any fishes I have ever seen. Now, when they are floating upside down or otherwise look "unnatural," then they are probably dead.

Back
Top Bottom