Please help! Sick Shubunkin, gulping and breathing heavily, very thin, emancipated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Shubunkin, Bruiser, has been sick since I returned from a vacation. I was gone 2 weeks and paid someone to take of things. The night I got back I noticed Bruiser was sitting on the bottom of the pond, so I put him in the 75 gal in the house. He was VERY thin and had maybe some light fuzz on his side and maybe a couple white spots, its hard to tell with his coloration. (I will upload some pics so you can tell me what you think.) He was breathing very heavily with his mouth open with ech breath. That was over 2 weeks ago. I have treated the water with 3 doses of Quickcure. The fuzz went away the next day and he was breathing better after each treatment. He was eating his normal algae wafers, api, Hikari and Aqueon pellets, so I hoped he would be ok, but has now quit eating. He is also having trouble staying upright and seems agitated.

I looked under the microscope (100x) at scrapings of his side, around his gills and his poop and couldn't see any critters with that. I will get some pics uploaded.

(Now the 2 baby Shubunkin I got from the pet store were a different story; one was healthy but the other's poop and slime was FULL of parasites! I mean packed with parasites! They were in a quarantine tank for over a month until I got it all cleared up, so they were never in contact with Bruiser before he got sick.)

I did a routine prazi treatment of the pond in the spring. The scrapings and poop of the POND koi also look ok under the microscope, but do you think I should treat the koi in the pond again to be safe?

The last treatment of Quickcure to the 75gal tank was over a week ago and the water has been changed since then. I added a little aquarium salt after the WC. The tank has 4 large airstone running from an airpump, a large HOB, and 2 fluval 406 canisters, it is also 7 years old.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose the guy, had him for 7 years and he has got breeding stars and handsome fins.

Back
Top Bottom