Please help soon, I think my platy is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
My platy is staying at the top of the water, not eating, staying still, and having problems keeping its balance. Recently it has had problems with balance. Tonight it is getting worse. Pleas help me. Is there any meds I can give her to help? I do not want to lose her.

Also my dalmatian molly is staying at the top and being still but she still eats and has no problem with balance.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5
pH 7.0

What is your tank temperature? It's heated, right? Also, when she tries to swim, is it eratic and uneven, like it has trouble swimming down or staying down?

Yes, its heated. The temp is 79. I would say she swims normal except a little tilted to the side.

Now that I think about it she may be having problems staying down. Yep I just checked on her... and she cant swim downwards.

Agreed. Sounds like swimbladder issues to me.

Check out that link that menagerie posted. I have lost 2 fish to swim bladder disease...

good luck. Any more questions, ask away. 8)

Thanks. I gave them peas about a week ago. I don't know if she ate any though. Now I know to pre soak my food. I have been fasting them like once every two weeks for a day. I also feed different foods. Mostly flakes though. Now I know what to do to prevent it. Is there anything I can do to save this fish that wont even eat or will she most likely die?

Menagerie, you beat me to it! I was just looking at that page! :wink:

This page is written for goldfish, but there are things that can be applied to other fish too. Sometimes, feeding dry foods can lead to swim bladder disease -- the dry foods swell up in the stomach and cause constipation. You could try feeding a pea to clear the constipation. I boil frozen peas in 1/2 cup of water for 4 minutes. Cool, peel and discard the skin, and feed pieces of the "meat" of the pea. Also, I wouldn't feed dry foods for a few days.

For my bettas, I get a cup of tank water and soak their pellet foods for about 2-3 minutes before feeding. If you feed pellet foods, you could try this.

Swim bladder disease sometimes responds to antibiotics. If the peas or soaking the pellets don't seem to help, consider using antibiotics.

I want to thank you all so much for your help. Now I know what to do to atleast try and save her. I thought no one would be able to help. Thanks!!!!!

I want to thank you all so much for your help. Now I know what to do to atleast try and save her. I thought no one would be able to help. Thanks!!!!!
You are very welcome. We are here for you--Please keep us updated.

I would think that flake food would be ok to feed without pre-soaking. The flakes are thin enough that they would soak up water as soon as you drop them in the tank. The hatchery I go to has big Tupperware containers of flake food and they just walk around with the containers and drop flakes in the tanks!

Do you add any aquarium salt to the water? Platies, and mollies especially, need some salt in the water. If they aren't getting enough salt, they can "shimmy" -- kind of shake from side to side without swimming forward. It does appear that your problems now are with the swimbladder, and not a shimmy, but if the water parameters aren't right for them (not enough salt) then the resulting stress can lead to disease, and possibly, other problems like swimbladder could result.

Back
Top Bottom