Please help!!! Starting to develop a Red slime problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90 gallon corner saltwater tank with coral and 3 fish to include several snails and hermit crabs. There is a skimmer and a wet/dry filter underneath. The tank contains sand and live rock. There is a 250 MH light in use and a wavemaker with 3 powerheads. Currently the paramters are as follows:
salinity 1.025 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ph 8.4 ammonia 0.25

I do water changes every 2 weeks. Once I noticed the redslime begin to develop more I did a few more water changes. Then i added chemi clean and let that sit for 48hrs and then did a water change. I am still noticing the redslime coming back even though the chemi-clean did help. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this once and for all. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

If you are having a cyano problem then you have either phosphates or nitrates and probably both. I would retest the water. .25 Ammonia is the bigger problem. How long did you allow your tank to cycle? How much LR do you have in your tank? Do you have bio-balls and sponges in the wet/dry?

1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon and a good skimmer with good flow is all that is truely needed to filter a tank.

I agree with the rest. I would first find out where that ammonia is coming from. Any chance you can go to the home page and update "my info", to let us know your tank size/equipment and critters?

Ziggy953 said:
If you are having a cyano problem then you have either phosphates or nitrates and probably both. I would retest the water. .25 Ammonia is the bigger problem. How long did you allow your tank to cycle? How much LR do you have in your tank? Do you have bio-balls and sponges in the wet/dry?

1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon and a good skimmer with good flow is all that is truely needed to filter a tank.

also are you using tap water for your changes?

if you are using bioballs let me know---i have a quick fix for that
Tangster

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I will retest and post the results. Currently I am using RO system for my water changes. In my wet/dry filter I do have bioballs but no sponges.

1 Koran angel, 1 percula clown, 1 algae blenny, turbo snails, tiger snails, 1 banded coral shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp

System: 90 gallon corner tank, 250 MH light, wet/dry filter, turboflotor skimmer, 3 powerheads, wavemaster pro, 80+ pounds LR

Thanks again everyone....

Here are the latest test results:

Salinity 1.025, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, PH 8.4

Tangster I am very interested in hearing about your quick fix.

Back
Top Bottom