PLEASE HELP - stocking list for 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leyli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! I'm considering getting a 20 gal freshwater tank in a couple months. I need help thinking of a stocking list - here is what I'm thinking of right know. I am aware this is overstocked, but it's my ideal tank at the moment, so I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me how to improve the stocking list.

2x Dalmatian molly
2x green lantern platy
6x bloodfin tetra
6x ghost shrimp

I'd also really like to get some small corys if there is room.

I REALLY LOVE Dalmatian mollies. Any advice on a stocking plan centered around a pair or trio of them?It may be possible for me to get a 30 gal, but this is unlikely, so if there is no way to keep them in a 20 gal other beginner stocking plans would be appreciated. :lol: also, if you guys have any suggestions on what medium/low light plants would work best in my beginning tank (and where to get those plants) would be helpful!

I don't personally know about the parameters of some of the fish, but if you wish mollies to be your main focus, the minimum number is 2 females 1male and with a 20 gallon you won't be able to do more mollies than that cause its the minimum size tank for them (especially with the many many babies you're going to be dealing with :brows:).
As for cories DutchMuch is right. If you got nothing else other than the mollies you could fit 2 cories in there and they'd be fine, but with the other wishes they won't be able to fit. :nono:

Dbradar3; reason I said six is because that's the minimum school size, just wanted to clarify but I agree with your other statements yes.

Are you doing short fin dalmations, lyrtail, sailfin or giant sailfin? Short fin I would think are fine but will breed prolifically if male and female (and then the ratio is off). If other fins... You might be a bit small unless a long.

And some babies will survive... They always do... So be ready.

Hey guys! I'm considering getting a 20 gal freshwater tank in a couple months. I need help thinking of a stocking list - here is what I'm thinking of right know. I am aware this is overstocked, but it's my ideal tank at the moment, so I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me how to improve the stocking list.

2x Dalmatian molly
2x green lantern platy
6x bloodfin tetra
6x ghost shrimp

I'd also really like to get some small corys if there is room.

I REALLY LOVE Dalmatian mollies. Any advice on a stocking plan centered around a pair or trio of them?It may be possible for me to get a 30 gal, but this is unlikely, so if there is no way to keep them in a 20 gal other beginner stocking plans would be appreciated.[emoji38]also, if you guys have any suggestions on what medium/low light plants would work best in my beginning tank (and where to get those plants) would be helpful!
If you're getting your tank in a couple of months consider getting a larger tank if you can.... As large as you can afford is the advice I was given.
If you look on Craigslist, at yard/garage sales, thrift stores, newspaper classifieds you can find good deals also.
When I restarted in the hobby with a 10 gallon tank it was to small.
I was able to buy a 75 gallon used with a Fluval fx5 canister filter (fx5 brand new is $300+)for $150, best decision I ever made.

If you're getting your tank in a couple of months consider getting a larger tank if you can.... As large as you can afford is the advice I was given.
If you look on Craigslist, at yard/garage sales, thrift stores, newspaper classifieds you can find good deals also.
When I restarted in the hobby with a 10 gallon tank it was to small.
I was able to buy a 75 gallon used with a Fluval fx5 canister filter (fx5 brand new is $300+)for $150, best decision I ever made.
Biggest tank is the stables water you can have. Makes thibgs easier.

Back
Top Bottom