Please Help with purple fungi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Account

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I have a 29g with live plants and a large piece of driftwood. I was sitting in my bed doing homework when I noticed this large purple fuzz on the log which I hadn't seen before. At first I though it was just because I had starred right into the light so I was seeing things but I got closer and it was real. I got my tweezers and peeled at it. Underneath was a giant gash in the wood which was never there before. I'm freaking out please tell me what this is and how to fully rid of it!!!
Thanks

That doesn't look like black beard algea to me.

That being said, when I spray black beard algea with hydrogen peroxide, it turns purple when it dies.

I would take the wood out, spray with hydrogen peroxide (get a clean spray bottle and use regular over the counter peroxide), and see if it goes away over a week or so..

That doesn't look like black beard algea to me.

That being said, when I spray black beard algea with hydrogen peroxide, it turns purple when it dies.

I would take the wood out, spray with hydrogen peroxide (get a clean spray bottle and use regular over the counter peroxide), and see if it goes away over a week or so..

Actually now that I look again it doesn't fit the description of black beard algae. It is on a few other fish forums but nobody seems to know what it is exactly. Just for the record the black beard algae is technically red algae so maybe that's why it turns purple when it dies

Back
Top Bottom