Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a black moor (sp?) who swims upside down. He's been doing this for maybe two and a half months. He used to be able to control it a little but now he floats upside down and can not even submerge him self. He eats this way too. I have tried peas... He has a lump growing off of his belly now and it sticks out of the water. It turns red from air irritation. I have had him for over a year and dont want him to die so I'll try what ever to help. He's a cool fish.. I hate to see him in such a situation.. I would say he must be miserable.. But who knows.. I have a hard time taking life from things.. Would not want to kill him.

Shame, yes. It must be hard. I'm the same when it comes to taking life from any creature. Even ants and spiders can reside in my house unharmed... ;)

BUT I do think he is very ill and that the growth might be the problem. Could you not ask your local pet shop or lfs if they might know what it could be and if there is some treatment for it??

If no-one can help and Google doesn't give you answers and eHow has no explanation, I feel that he's suffering and in that instance he should be put out of his misery... :(

Maybe post a pic here? Someone else might have seen it before??

Good luck

if peas don't work, idk what will...i know taking a life is hard, but making something suffer is worse if you look at it that way

the best painless eutha method is clove oil....they fall asleep....

Im the type that believes anythings possible, and if he could recover I want to allow him the chance. Clove oil sounds like the best thing when it comes to that tho. Ill try n get a pic on here..

Pics of the lump will help as well the tank size, parameters and diet (type/brand, other foods). The floatiness & upside down swimming is classic swimbladder disorder which fancies are prone to having. Sometimes, a change in diet can help alleviate symptoms. The possibility of a internal bacterial infection can also cause symptoms as well.

Unfortunately, there generally are no 'miracle' cures for a malformed swimbladder. Some people make harnesses to keep a fish floating correctly (check out U-tube). A few people have had success with surgery (aquatic vet is necessary). Others let a fish live out there lives upside down as long as they are still mobile & eating. If you do decide to euthanasize, finquel (MS-222) is the best route for goldfish although clove oil should work as well. DrsFoster&Smith sells finquel as do a few other sites.

One of my moors would float upside down for hours after eating. I switched to gel food and his condition has improved by 90%. He still has an occasional flair up but nothing like it was. It is really easy to make. Like jlk mentioned just google goldfish gel food recipes. I feel moors are pretty resilient with proper treatment. My swim bladder guy has pulled through many a rough situations.

Back
Top Bottom