Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this little pleco today. Im not sure what exact breed he is. If anybody could tell me I'd appreciate it. I wanna do a bit of research on it.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397517779487.jpg
    1397517779487.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 112
Looks to be a Sail Fin or Common Pleco at full zoom, on my phone. Where did you purchase and how much? If $3-4 I would say, yes it's a common. They get big, 12-22 inches big. Their main care needs are :
-A tank of at least 100 gallons.
-Drift Wood to help with digestion
-Good hiding places, big enough to fit in, and be out of the light(during lights on).
-a good source of algae(looks like you've got some) and supplement of algae wafers. They also enjoy fresh veggies, zucchini being a favorite. They do enjoy the occasional protein treat such as freeze dried worms or shrimp.
Hope this helps!

Great thank you. I need to go get so e drift wood then. . And a bigger tank! Cant believe they can grow that much. Its so small. And yup it was only about 4 euros

The white tail end makes me think bristlenose to be honest

I was outside using my phone when I first looked, 15.6 inch laptop screen and no glare, makes me change to a Bristle Nose or Bushy Nose Pleco also Glene20. My apologies, BN plecos will reach a much smaller adult size of 5 inches and require a tank size of 30 gallons... Hope you didn't order a new tank yet! Time to get my eyes checked!

Haha no its fine. I appreciate anybodys feedback. At that size that he is now would I need to feed him anything else other than the algae hes eating from the tank.

They love letttuce, spinach, cucumber, courgette, algae wafers, spirulina flake

It probably wouldn't hurt to offer an algae wafer once every couple of days. Keep an eye on the algae in the tank and if the Pleco seems to be keeping it at bay, then he is probably getting enough to eat. There is a very small size bag of algae wafer offered by Hikari(green and silver bag), in the US it runs about $4 or $5. This size bag would last a long time for a juvenile BN, the pieces can be broken in half or to bits. I usually leave them in the tank overnight, then remove any leftovers in the morning to keep from fouling the water.

My BN pleco is 4 inches long and eats every wafer I drop in the tank and I have no algae to speak of. I feed 1-2 wafers nightly. The hikari wafers aforementioned. I also offer peas before water changes and the occasional piece of zucchini and/or romaine. Everyone in the tank eats veggies though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom