Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my breeder tank I have been having a problem with... I don't know what it is but there is like a grey-blue layer that keeps forming on top of my water and other formations under water. I clean this tank of these things daily but they keep coming back.

Image1484977290.865935.jpgImage1484977328.293144.jpg

There is also a pretty bad smell coming from the tank but my fish don't seem to be effected by it.

Is it still there? What's water flow like in the tank. Lights? Tank age?

Would blue-green algae (maybe) or a bacterial bloom fit?

Is it still there? What's water flow like in the tank. Lights? Tank age?

Would blue-green algae (maybe) or a bacterial bloom fit?

I removed it all and bought a new filter since it turns out the one for the tank wasn't working, also the tank is about a month old right now.

Good luck, hopefully it doesn't come back and was just the new tank.

It used to be a frog tank, the a leapord gecko tank, then a toad tank and finally a fish tank so something probably went wrong during the course of this takes "life".

Should settle down.

I've heard of really bad bacterial(?) sludge blooms that get into filters but few and fair between luckily.

I was told you shouldn't use a tank used for reptiles for fish. The ammonia from the reptile soaks up in the sealant and kills fish.

Blue grey "oil slick" looking stuff is pretty common and more annoying. Recently I set up a tank which I had got from a thrift store with sand I had previously used but had been dry for a year, and have it too in there. You can use some paper towels to help soak up the slick just keep doing it for awhile (days). The flat foamy type paper towels have been some I thought worked well.

Upping the surface agitation can help too.

I was told you shouldn't use a tank used for reptiles for fish. The ammonia from the reptile soaks up in the sealant and kills fish.

I cleaned the stuff out and added a new filter and it had been working very well.

One of the issues with actual tanks made for reptiles as opposed to a fish tank with reptiles living in it, is the glass my be thinner and maybe not as good of job with caulking/silicone because they aren't designed to hold water but make a glass cage.

One of the issues with actual tanks made for reptiles as opposed to a fish tank with reptiles living in it, is the glass my be thinner and maybe not as good of job with caulking/silicone because they aren't designed to hold water but make a glass cage.
Yes as about a 9 year old I learned this lesson. I think the quality control is less seeing how many are not designed to hold water lol

It was made for fish we just kinda kept reptiles in it.

Back
Top Bottom