Please let me determine the gender and possible hormoned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i got these 3 "ruby crystal" peacocks to start off my tank.

The really orange one seems like hes the boss, the other two follow him and he has his own hiding space. They dont fight at all and usually swim together.

Do the other two look like males or females? They lose their color when they get skittish and when i approach the tank. The orange guy doesn't care and even comes up to look at me when i get close to the tank.

All of them are two inches long, are they considered Juveniles? should that orange one be that colorful or do you think he has been pumped with hormones?

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo(21).JPG
    photo(21).JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 55
Orange ones a male, the other two are probably females. If the orange one is picking on one of the others it may be a sub dominate male

Thank you

Do you think the orange one is hormoned? Hes only 2in and has so much color.

The other two gets orange too which is why i wonder about their sex (also egg spot on anal fin), they become almost as orange as the boss when relaxed

Thank you Do you think the orange one is hormoned? Hes only 2in and has so much color. The other two gets orange too which is why i wonder about their sex (also egg spot on anal fin), they become almost as orange as the boss when relaxed

No hormones. They are a hybrid species and show color pretty quickly but other species show color early too. Egg spots is not a good way to sex. I still think they are females though.

No hormones. They are a hybrid species and show color pretty quickly but other species show color early too. Egg spots is not a good way to sex. I still think they are females though.

Ok thats good to know

Yea i never seen the orange guy nip or chase the other two. They usually go swimming to him or stay behind him. I really like him, hes not afraid of me or my pleco. The best is when he followse from one side of tank to the other . Maybe hes hybrized so much he lost his natural instincts of fear?

I don't think so, Africans just aren't that shy. I can catch mine by hand in my tank. I have three dragons blood peacocks, identical and hybrids like yours. There are a few species that are probably the same but have different names none the less.

I don't think so, Africans just aren't that shy. I can catch mine by hand in my tank. I have three dragons blood peacocks, identical and hybrids like yours. There are a few species that are probably the same but have different names none the less.

Nice! So i guess mine are still considered juviniles being 2 inches long?
I wonder what their full color is gonna look like...is that orange guy goong to get anymore red? The other two are more of a pink/salmon color.

Do you have any pics of your dragonblood peacocks?

He will stay pretty much that color might get a nice blue sheen. 2" is a juvie.
Here's my dominate male and the boss of my mixed tank. I have one that's better looking but not dominate so he hides quite a bit.
image-342073908.jpg

the 3 fish all found their own places and they are swimming more freely in the tank.

I noticed the orange guy chasing and picking on the others, and the other two are getting their colors in. One is a redish/pink and the other is a watered down orange of the big guy. Maybe other are sub dominate males?

Back
Top Bottom