please tell me about ottos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a ten gallon and a 5.5 gallon tank. In my ten gallon I have an issue with brown algae. I read that an Otto would help... but I don't know Mich about them. Could I put one in my tank?

Otos belong in groups. I have 3 in a 16 gallon. They have voracious appetites for algae.

What other species do you have in this tank?

Also, I don't believe in getting any species just because it will do a "job" for you. You should only get those species that you really love and that are compatible with your other species. (y)

I agree. Otos are algae-eating fish, but once they successfully eat the algae out of your tank - you now have another mouth that you must feed with specialized foods since otos really don't eat flake or pellet food. So before you buy an oto, let's take a look at 2 alternatives that won't have you running to the grocery store just to buy veggies.

1. Addressing the Algae Cause - Can you post some pictures of the algae? We have members here who are very knowledgeable about the causes of algae, and if you can cure the cause without needing to buy more fish - all the better.

2. Snails - A slow-and-steady alternative to algae-eating fish, you may be able to find a good type of snail that will eat the algae as well as scavenge extra fish food and never need extra feedings. Snails also have a much lower bio-load than an Oto.

with what Lynda said, I got my first set of ottos "to do a job" and now love the things, even so far as to buy even more (I have 9 now), mine are like little crack heads and are all over my tank (125g), when you go up to the tank you see them almost before you see the black skirt tetras or the angels...but mine seem more active than what others have talked about here.

They do a great job of eating most any kind of algae, even the black bush stuff...now to get a fish that will eat a few snails.....

Ok. I am answering your questions.
Nerite snails: I already have some. They don't do very well at eating the algae, there is so much.
What other fish do I have:
Guppies, a platy, a papered cory (my brothers. so don't blame me for it) and an albino cory (also my brothers).
I don't just want ottos for their algae eating. I like how they stick to the side of the tank. It is cool. And I have algae wafers I can feed it if there isn't enough algae.
How many would you recommend for a ten gallon?

Demonknight said:
with what Lynda said, I got my first set of ottos "to do a job" and now love the things, even so far as to buy even more (I have 9 now), mine are like little crack heads and are all over my tank (125g), when you go up to the tank you see them almost before you see the black skirt tetras or the angels...but mine seem more active than what others have talked about here.

They do a great job of eating most any kind of algae, even the black bush stuff...now to get a fish that will eat a few snails.....

A fish that eats snails:
Puffers or poaches
Some cichlids
Sometimes bettas

To be honest, if you have THAT much algae, you have a problem somewhere. Do you overfeed?

LyndaB said:
To be honest, if you have THAT much algae, you have a problem somewhere. Do you overfeed?

No. I give each fish one flake per day.

LyndaB said:

I mean its not an uncontrollable amount. It just is very noticeable. It covers the light side of my baseball sized rock, and is all over the face of the sphinx decoration. I only have two nerite snails and they are pretty slow... so they don't clean up very much. I need something more active to do it.

Diatoms will eventually go away on their own. I'd just remove it manually for a while or just ignore it for a few months.

Getting otos isn't a terrible idea if you like them. I've had several for years without algae issues in their tanks and they stay plump and healthy without specialized feeding. They eat biofilm along with algae, and will scavenge dead plant matter as well.

jetajockey said:
Diatoms will eventually go away on their own. I'd just remove it manually for a while or just ignore it for a few months.

Getting otos isn't a terrible idea if you like them. I've had several for years without algae issues in their tanks and they stay plump and healthy without specialized feeding. They eat biofilm along with algae, and will scavenge dead plant matter as well.

Ok. I have a lot of bio film on the glass as well. How many do you suggest for a ten gallon?

Most people suggest a group of 3-4 because they are social. I see mine hanging out sometime, but they aren't tight schoolers or anything. I have a few strays in different tanks alone and they've been just fine, so I think that general idea is very subjective.

They do shoal a bit like corys, but then again I have large cory schools and I have a tank with only 2 peppered cories that are several years old, so take it for what it's worth. They are in giant schools in nature, often dozens or hundreds in a group, so recreating that isn't exactly easy for most aquarists.
Everyone has their own opinion though.

Ok. So I will probably get two or three. I might not have enough room for three.

No. I give each fish one flake per day.

If it's one large flake (like mine would be if not crushed), that's probably way too much. Their stomach is roughly the size of one eye. Feed accordingly. Try feeding every other day if your algae gets bad. Some people, like my husband, can't stop overfeeding, no matter how hard they try. Then again, he does a serious gravel vac every week, so he keeps up with any decaying food.

I have a couple of questions about ottos too. Ive got quite a bit of brown algae growth in my tank. Although I know itl just go when it wants too I would like a bottom feeder.. Erm my issue is my tanks only 7.5 gallons and I am getting two dwarf puffers for it in a weeks time. That means I can't really get snails or shrimps as they will just get eaten. Is my tank too small for a pair of ottos? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom