Pleco? And a question about bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tormented

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what pleco would be good in a ten gallon. I have tried Otos and killed them. But is there one that wont out grow my tank?

I was also wondering how to sex bettas when they are little. Because a few months ago I got a 'female' baby betta from petco. And it was a boy, which is alright but I think that since I got opal as a baby it help with him living with guppies. I am wanting to get another one for my 10 gallon (Opal is in my brothers tank, and I don't want to move him again).

Here is Opal

1 week after I got him:

img_2337529_0_785e26282d45e9bdfeaff3911266cba7.jpg
img_2337529_1_2ce5abcaa976a99a948213ccd5c57fc6.jpg
img_2337529_2_ca75108109f65bed4fd1a3c52a10bf56.jpg

Today: He has the 'crown' tail thing going on. But you can't really see it. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I used my Ipod

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Opal is def a boy males have longer wider fins....bettas do great with any community fish doesn't matter their age they just can't be in a tank that has any other bettas in it unless its huge lol as far as a pleco get a rubber lip they stay around 4-5 inches but that's the smallest species of pleco the rest all get much much bigger so that's really your only choice sorry

Well some male bettas will attack male guppies because of their flashy tails.

Okay, I might try Otos again. But what are their requirements? soft or hard water and such, my water is hard I believe. Can they be in with live plants?

Do Rubber lip Plecos benefit from driftwood in the tank?

Personally, I would not put a pleco in a ten gallon. If you want algae eaters, snails are great! Nerite and apple snails are both very popular.

I'm not exactly sure on requirments for otos but most fish will adapt to whatever the ph is so that's not too crucial just Google them and compare the information with your parameters and see if they are suitable

Well some male bettas will attack male guppies because of their flashy tails.

Okay, I might try Otos again. But what are their requirements? soft or hard water and such, my water is hard I believe. Can they be in with live plants?

Do Rubber lip Plecos benefit from driftwood in the tank?

I believe otos can live in a pH that is slightly acidic to neutral. I have some in a planted tank and they are fine they haven't damaged the plants at all.

Oh yes and also you might want to consider putting your betta in a breeder cage for one or two days if your worried about aggression. I did this on my betta and he lives peacefully with a dwarf gourami, bolivian ram and longfin danios

Clown plecos (Panaque maccus) only get about 4 inches max. That would be about the biggest I would try in a 10gallon.

Back
Top Bottom