Pleco buddies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misstexas25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What should I put with my pleco?

I want something that's fun like Glofish tetras/danios, or maybe some pretty guppies?

What would you pick and why? How many of them should I get?

Tank:25 gal (until the pleco grows then we will upgrade)
Pleco is currently by itself. I also have a betta in a 10gal.

You can put any type of tropical fish you want within stocking capacity. I'll go ahead and say it since someone is gonna say it, if its a common pleco they need 125g minimum. But your on the right track and welcome to AA. Is your tank cycled by any chance?
You can do any of what you stated. Tetras and danios need a school of 5+ to keep them happy. I would do 6 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami, and a guppy or 2 and stick to male or female only guppys since you have the pleco and you don't wanna over stock with baby fry swimming around.
On a side note, what part of Texas are you from? I'm in south Texas

You can put any type of tropical fish you want within stocking capacity. I'll go ahead and say it since someone is gonna say it, if its a common pleco they need 125g minimum. But your on the right track and welcome to AA. Is your tank cycled by any chance?
You can do any of what you stated. Tetras and danios need a school of 5+ to keep them happy. I would do 6 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami, and a guppy or 2 and stick to male or female only guppys since you have the pleco and you don't wanna over stock with baby fry swimming around.
On a side note, what part of Texas are you from? I'm in south Texas

Awesome thank you so much! I'm in the process of cycling the 25gal tank for him. He is currently in a 10gal with his current owner (my grandma, who didn't research to know he'd get so big!). So since I volunteered to take him I thought I could finally get glofish or something . Thanks for the great idea and amount of fish to add! I will probably use that. And i'm in north Texas, so around the Dallas area. But we visit the beaches at least every other year. Last year was South Padre! It was nice :) And we love Austin!

Awesome thank you so much! I'm in the process of cycling the 25gal tank for him. He is currently in a 10gal with his current owner (my grandma, who didn't research to know he'd get so big!). So since I volunteered to take him I thought I could finally get glofish or something . Thanks for the great idea and amount of fish to add! I will probably use that. And i'm in north Texas, so around the Dallas area. But we visit the beaches at least every other year. Last year was South Padre! It was nice :) And we love Austin!

Not a problem. I'm 30 mins. from south padre and actually use to live there for a few years. Definetly do some research on what kind of fish you like and think you want. Research is key to this hobby and happy fish and FYI the biggest common pleco I have seen so far in real life not a pic was around 22" long and 6-8" wide minus fins so definetly pick your fish and research them. Find their compatibilitys and incompatibilitys

Not a problem. I'm 30 mins. from south padre and actually use to live there for a few years. Definetly do some research on what kind of fish you like and think you want. Research is key to this hobby and happy fish and FYI the biggest common pleco I have seen so far in real life not a pic was around 22" long and 6-8" wide minus fins so definetly pick your fish and research them. Find their compatibilitys and incompatibilitys

Yes, I agree. Wow a 22" pleco? Amazing!

I've kept five different plecs with many different species over nearly 9 years, plecs for the best part are quite peaceful. Even when I had the hypostomus @46cms and a gibbiceps @38cms in the same tank there was little conflict. The gibbiceps is the more boisterous of the two, these were kept with clown loach and corydoras. Pretty much all bottom feeders with no problems.

See you tube 4tanks2day, my fish house and fish tank stills, these are two videos of some value to you, they demonstrate the size some plecs get to and also some of the species I've housed them with. While the YouTube isn't the greatest quality the different species have been named.

If the water parameters are ideal for the fish concerned then you can't really go wrong with species choice for tank mates, provide plenty of hiding places and some real bog wood for the plec and it will be happy.
My first fish were danios, great fish and pretty tough too, the glowlight tetra is fabulous, I've kept glowlight for ages.
If you want a natural selection the glowlight and plec are South American species while the danio are an Asian group. Either way they will work together.

I've kept five different plecs with many different species over nearly 9 years, plecs for the best part are quite peaceful. Even when I had the hypostomus @46cms and a gibbiceps @38cms in the same tank there was little conflict. The gibbiceps is the more boisterous of the two, these were kept with clown loach and corydoras. Pretty much all bottom feeders with no problems.

See you tube 4tanks2day, my fish house and fish tank stills, these are two videos of some value to you, they demonstrate the size some plecs get to and also some of the species I've housed them with. While the YouTube isn't the greatest quality the different species have been named.

If the water parameters are ideal for the fish concerned then you can't really go wrong with species choice for tank mates, provide plenty of hiding places and some real bog wood for the plec and it will be happy.
My first fish were danios, great fish and pretty tough too, the glowlight tetra is fabulous, I've kept glowlight for ages.
If you want a natural selection the glowlight and plec are South American species while the danio are an Asian group. Either way they will work together.

Oh thank you I am looking those videos up right now!

Back
Top Bottom