Pleco care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've decided to add a pleco to each of my SA community tanks. A Clown will be going into my 20 high and a Bristlenose will be going into my 29. I have a couple of questions for pleco owners.

(1) How many times a week should I be supplementing vegetables (or algae wafers)? The 29 where my BN will be housed has an appreciable amount of algae, but I'm guessing that I'll need to supplement with blanched zucchini or something similar. Approximately how many times a week should I be doing this? My understanding is that Clowns prefer wood (both tanks have plenty of that), but will also need supplementary veggies. Would one zucchini slice per week be enough for the Clown?

(2) I keep my 29 at about 81 F (I have a pair of Rams in there), which is slightly on the warm side for BNs. I also tend to keep the water level high to keep my HOB filter from making the annoying waterfall sound. I'm considering adding an air stone to the tank to help oxygenate the water. Is this recommended, or not really necessary?

Thanks in advance.

So I've decided to add a pleco to each of my SA community tanks. A Clown will be going into my 20 high and a Bristlenose will be going into my 29. I have a couple of questions for pleco owners.

(1) How many times a week should I be supplementing vegetables (or algae wafers)? The 29 where my BN will be housed has an appreciable amount of algae, but I'm guessing that I'll need to supplement with blanched zucchini or something similar. Approximately how many times a week should I be doing this? My understanding is that Clowns prefer wood (both tanks have plenty of that), but will also need supplementary veggies. Would one zucchini slice per week be enough for the Clown?

(2) I keep my 29 at about 81 F (I have a pair of Rams in there), which is slightly on the warm side for BNs. I also tend to keep the water level high to keep my HOB filter from making the annoying waterfall sound. I'm considering adding an air stone to the tank to help oxygenate the water. Is this recommended, or not really necessary?

Thanks in advance.

I add one hichari algae wafer <misspelled tired twice a week for my two crowns. And once a week I put in half an algae sheet at night I take out before I go to bed. The water movement at the surface adds oxygen as long as there's still a current on the surface your water should have enough oxygen. I personally don't care for airstones I'd add a circulation pump near the surface before I added one but that's me others may prefer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have three BN plecos .One in each of my three tanks and they are my favorite of all my fish. I have driftwood in each tank for them. I feed mine a piece of fresh veggie every day. Put it in the tank and leave it there for 24 hours. In addition I also feed a hikari mini algea wafer and shrimp pellets for the shrimp and cory cats plus a bottom feeder pellet. They help themselves to whatever they want. The veggies can be just about whatever kind you eat. Squash of any kind, carrots, sweet potato, dark leafy greens, sweet peppers, broccoli, brussle sprouts, green beans, melons, . The only thing I don't feed is hot peppers, avacado. Plecos don't live on just algea, they need small amts of protein and lots of veggies and driftwood. Alison:)

I have three BN plecos .One in each of my three tanks and they are my favorite of all my fish. I have driftwood in each tank for them. I feed mine a piece of fresh veggie every day. Put it in the tank and leave it there for 24 hours. In addition I also feed a hikari mini algea wafer and shrimp pellets for the shrimp and cory cats plus a bottom feeder pellet. They help themselves to whatever they want. The veggies can be just about whatever kind you eat. Squash of any kind, carrots, sweet potato, dark leafy greens, sweet peppers, broccoli, brussle sprouts, green beans, melons, . The only thing I don't feed is hot peppers, avacado. Plecos don't live on just algea, they need small amts of protein and lots of veggies and driftwood. Alison:)

+1 my Plecos also eat left over food for the other fish and spend a lot of time rasping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info. It sounds like my BN will need daily (or almost daily) veggies. I'll probably do a mix of balanced zucchini, de-shelled peas (my rams like those, too), and algae wafers. I upgraded my filter to an AQ 70, which is WAY larger than my old AQ 50. Given the much increased water flow, I don't think I'll be needing an air stone now.

Any Clown Pleco owners out there? Everything I read about them says that they primarily eat wood, with only occasional veggies. Do I need to supplement veggies more than once per week?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My mom has 2 clown plecos. I rarely see them. I tried one once and no luck but could have been bad stock. She puts algae wafers in and rarely any vegetables

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure if that is right or wrong with her not adding vegetables. Curious to see what others have to say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom