pleco failing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessybehr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came home today to my three year old pleco laying on his side but still breathing. He actually let me gently place him on his belly near his hiding spot. But has not moved since. He's 4 inches and is in a 35 gallon hex. All my other fish are active and fine.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1428554331871.jpg
    1428554331871.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 1428554347609.jpg
    1428554347609.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 98
I'm not sure... Are there any other symptoms? Please describe anything that could help, for example, water parameters, tank mates, anything you have changed recently, etc.. In the worst case scenario, you can use clove oil to let him go peacefully. Although I really hope it hasn't come to that.

4 Congo tetras 3 guoramis an angel and a few small Cory cats. I just added a red parrot a couple of days ago.

He's been housed with them for a long time

Attachments

• 1428555773035.jpg
    1428555773035.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 89
I just had my water parameters tested at my local shop and everything is fine

I did a gravel vacumm and water change on Monday but nothing that I do differently

May have been the red parrot. Look them up. They really should not be in a hex and reach 8". They are semi aggressive.

The parrots been in hiding and I plan on getting larger tanks. I know my fish sizes

He's out and eating right now so that's a good sign. And its more common for a pleco to be aggressive and latch onto a parrot

He's out and eating right now so that's a good sign. And its more common for a pleco to be aggressive and latch onto a parrot

Really now. Hmm I guess the midas cross means nothing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you by the cross breed meaning nothing?

He means Midas cichlids are notoriously aggressive, and a parrot is a crossbreed of a Midas and another cichlid. An aggressive parrot is much more common then an aggressive BN pleco. Keep an eye on the parrot and maybe the gouramis. It could be one of the two being aggressive and attacking him

They haven't been bothering him idk what's going on still he's just very still

Well that's cool to know thank you

The plecos sucking on fish is a super rare thing and a sign that they are starving. I've only ever actually seen it once.

Sad to hear about your pleco :(
What were you feeding her?

Back
Top Bottom