Pleco Identification and Plant Safe Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J Migidy

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of pleco is this? It's around 8 inches long and about 3 years old. It seemed to stop growing a year ago but I have no idea if it is the type that gets bigger.
img_928584_0_ef3c08a855b5b1fbb1a7012ef8c08db4.jpg

img_928584_1_b5aad7eb40fcad92623c879972b473a4.jpg

img_928584_2_27c12f0d656f916dcc41e2a60d0e9123.jpg

img_928584_3_fe0799e5893a6502e86a7a350d2ec1ab.jpg

He eats and uproots every plant I've ever had except for Java Moss. I'm thinking of donating him to the LFS. Are there any algae eaters that are good for the planted tank. I'm more concerned with the type that grows as a thin film or dusting on aquarium plumbing, glass and plant leaves. I've heard SAE's and Twig Catfish are good?

I'm no pleco expert but it looks like a sailfin pleco to me: Overview of the available plecostomus species with pictures

For good algae eaters it depends on the current tankmates and what YOU like personally. Some people don't like snails but nearly all of them will do a great job with algae. Dwarf shrimp such as Amanos, red cherries, yellows, blue pearls, and snowball shrimp would also be great for keeping algae in check. Ottos are another choice and true SAE's would work but I think they mainly go for certain types of algae.

I'd look into WHY you have algae in the first place. I suspect that your tank is overstocked and you have high nitrate levels in your tank and insufficient lighting. If you don't have the lighting your plants won't be able to remove the nitrates, they won't grow and they will start to decay, encouraging your pleco to eat them.

I recommend that you test your nitrate levels and report back with your findings. Purchase an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Freshwater Test Kit for around $20. It is an excellent purchase to make and a must-have in my opinion.

Last edited:
It does appear to be a sailfin pleco. They are very hard on plants and do uproot plants on a regular basis. They can get bigger, they usually slow down about that size though. What size tank do you have him in?

I also agree that finding the cause of the algae is the most important thing, for planted tanks I like otos, florida flag fish, true SAE's and bristlenose plecos. Not all in one tank mind you and the tank size plays a factor.

Duh, how could I forget? Bristlenos plecos (BN plecos) are an excellent choice for nearly any tank 20g when you want to control algae. They are great algae removers and they won't harm your plants, other than possibly uprooting one once in a while when swimming. Driftwood would be appreciated by them as well to provide something for them to rasp on. Good suggestoin Zagz!

Yeah he seems to eat and uproot everything and I have this fear tha the's the type that gets big with time. He's in a 55 gallon tank with over filtration. I have a Penguin 350 Bio Wheel and a Rena XP3 running and I do regular water changes. I don't think water quality is an issue. My tank is severely under lit however so that might be the problem. The pleco you guys mentioned is a good choice but I'd like to stay away from anymore plecos. Especially that variety as I find them down right scary to look at. I'm thinking a combo of snails, shrimp, SAE's and maybe a Twig Catfish might do the trick? Not so sure about that last one though. :confused::confused::confused:

That sailfin pleco can easily get over 12" long, some sources say 18". A 55g is hardly suitable for a pleco that size and it has just about outgrown the tank IMO.

You should look into BN plecos. They stay small at 4.5" MAX (for an adult male) and they would be perfect for your setup. I'd suggest 2-3 of them for your tank after you find the sailfin a new home. You might even be able to trade straight up for 3 BN plecos, which I'd do in a minute if I were you. Not many people would be willing to take on a sailfin or any other pleco that size since tank space is an issue.

My sailfin has gotten nearly 12" long.... he was cute when he was 2".

What do you do with one of these buggers once they get that big? Can you sell them?

I like him but if he gets any bigger I dunno if its better to sell him to someone with a huge tank?

I have several true SAEs in my tank, and I think they are great. They definitely eat Algae, even on the plants, and have not thus far disturbed any of my plants. They even eat BBA, and are the only known species to do so. I think you will find varying opinions on them, but so far I am very happy with them. Just be sure you are getting true SAEs when you look for them - a lot of LFSs seem to sell other fish that look similiar under the name SAEs, but they are actually flying foxes or other similiar fish. This article does a good job of distinguishing between the fish in this family - I bookmarked it on my phone before I went to the LFS to make sure I was getting what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom