Pleco issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my boy 1.5 yrs old. 6" albino lemon pleco
He will lay on his back ??
Breathing but it's weird....
27g cube tank
PH 6.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
NitrAte +/- 10

Fish lying on their back, with a few exceptions (Here's looking at you clown loaches -.-), is normally a bloody terrible sign.

The obvious value out of place is your PH which is a little low. Is that your normal PH?

Also what other fish are in the tank?

That is normal PH. 1/4 of the tank is driftwood which makes the PH low. Has alway been like that. I have never been able to make it go up.
8 Corydora , lace catfish, Betta, and 3 Australian rainbows
All acting fine
- I have always done 40% WC every week too for 2 years.

Fish lying on their back, with a few exceptions (Here's looking at you clown loaches -.-), is normally a bloody terrible sign. The obvious value out of place is your PH which is a little low. Is that your normal PH? Also what other fish are in the tank?
exception also being Pleco's..

Ohh man, update, I just discovered my Pleco upside down and dead... I have no idea why.. I have definitely heard of Pleco's lying upside down before...

Is he under a piece of the driftwood? Plecos do this fairly often if they feel comfortable and are resting.

Ohh man, update, I just discovered my Pleco upside down and dead... I have no idea why.. I have definitely heard of Pleco's lying upside down before...

Sorry your pleco died ;(
- mine only does this in a log. He will go in, and suck along the top, and let go, and lay there in his back.
Just weird
--- thank for all the feedback

I'm bummed, it was my first Pleco, only 5 months old.. I think it's my fault too..

Where did y'all get them from? Petsmart doses Quick Cure after getting shipments in, and plecos don't do well with that.

My Lfs, not a big box store, I have a theory why mine died though.. I pulled a fake plant out the night before, stupid me didn't do a good gravel vac after, think he got a rotten hit of something..

I get mine at LFS , albino pleco's are not as hardy IMO. But I Looooove the albinos. I feel bad tho, they typically do not live as long. Pleco's do not live if quick cure or paraguard is used. Mine have died from those.....

Springfield.
- I have 3 around me. Dave's , Aquatic Wildlife, School of Fish. Usually the places I go....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom