Pleco Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have my female (I think) bristlenose pleco in a 6 gal with a betta and some plants and Mopani wood. I have been struggling with high ammonia and low Ph for almost two weeks but have been doing daily water changes and the problem has been slowly getting better. I know that my pleco should be in a bigger tank but my 29 gal is currently cycling and I will move the pleco over as soon as the larger tank is stable.
Lately, my pleco has not been eating (that I can see). I put boiled cucumber slices in the tank every two days and removing old ones. I have seen her stomach become very caved in, and then go back to normal while leaving the cucumbers untouched. She used to love cucumbers and I don't know whether the ammonia is stressing her out so she's not eating or if it could be something else. The betta is acting normal, no real issues there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Keep an eye on your params and you should be fine. That's a high bioload for a tank that size so it's understandable your plec is going through that stress. I think he would do better in a half cycled 29 rather than a cycled 6 gallon...

Keep an eye on your params and you should be fine. That's a high bioload for a tank that size so it's understandable your plec is going through that stress. I think he would do better in a half cycled 29 rather than a cycled 6 gallon...

Ok, thanks. The other problem with my 29 gal is that it had a bad outbreak of Ich, all the fish died, and has been fishless now for about a week. I've cranked up the heat and been doing water changes but I am scared that if I put the plec in there, the parasite will still be alive, and she will get Ich. Do you know anything about that?

Ok, thanks. The other problem with my 29 gal is that it had a bad outbreak of Ich, all the fish died, and has been fishless now for about a week. I've cranked up the heat and been doing water changes but I am scared that if I put the plec in there, the parasite will still be alive, and she will get Ich. Do you know anything about that?

Keep the tank at 86 and acclimate the pleco in a plastic container floating at the top. Don't let any tank water get on him until he actually goes in. You should be good for tomorrow :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom