pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FINNO.fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a gold spotted pleco not sure of it's kind but Im a little concerned it's not eating enough.

My tank has only been going for just over 2 months now so there wouldn't be much to scavenge off of so im trying to feed him veggie pallets. Because I have a guts of a melanarus it never gets a chance to have a decent feed. Is there some sort of way I can see it eat in peace or maybe purchase a food that nothing else will touch.

Maybe im being a little more concerned then I should be, it still looks fine and has grown a little since getting it.

ForumRunner_20120614_102726.jpg

Boiled zucchini slices will float to the bottom of your tank and your pleco will be all over it. Easiest way to see if a pleco is underweight is if it's stomach is hollow, if you can catch it sucking on your aquarium glass this is a pretty simple check.

try cucumber, you don't have to blanch it or anything. Just cut a slice and remove the seeds, you can use a regular stainless steel fork and stick it down in the gravel, a veggie clip, tie it to a piece of slate. Your pleco will LOVE it.

I'm actually in the same boat as you Finno... I've had my rubber lip for about 3 or 4 months now and have tried everything from algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber, etc... Will even drop a cucumber right in front of his little hide out spot, and he doesn't touch it. Literally, the only thing he will eat is algae off my glass and plants... I guess I can't complain too much, he cleans up well! Hopefully yours is finding some source of food to munch on, but definitely try cucumbers and zucchini, I've heard they love them... I dont think mine knows its food lol

Yeah mine eats algae wafers, algae, and cucumber. He probably eats during the night too so you might not see yours eating even though it is.

Put the cucumber in at night after lights out. When you turn the lights on in the morning you will see the munch marks.

I've tried the cucumber thing at night, it's untouched the next morning. Sorry, I failed to mention before a lot of times my other fish eat the algae wafers soon as they touch the water, even at night, they smell it in the water lol.

Thanks heaps I will try all those ideas. I have drift wood in there, I've read they much on it, is that true cause that's his little hang out. Until I try to feed him that is. (like the fork idea)

he looks like an L022, and i agree cucumber on a fork it takes a while for em to work out what it is but eventualy he will get it

Back
Top Bottom