pleco...telling the difference between the two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbietofishes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive got a pleco that look like a common pleco but im wondering is it possible it being a hypostomus plecotomus, cos they do look the same to me... But sizes are different? is there a different between them or are they the same thing just different names... was told when i brought it it wouldnt grow too big and he havent grown for a long while but he is around 20cms i dont want to get rid of him if i can safely keep him but if he gonna grown then it not fair to keep him... He is in a tank of 240l or is that still too small for him

if you post a picture of yours someone may be able to help you in case they are 2 different species.

I havent had anything to do with commons for a long time so I don't think I'm of much service.

Ive got a pleco that look like a common pleco but im wondering is it possible it being a hypostomus plecotomus, cos they do look the same to me... But sizes are different? is there a different between them or are they the same thing just different names... was told when i brought it it wouldnt grow too big and he havent grown for a long while but he is around 20cms i dont want to get rid of him if i can safely keep him but if he gonna grown then it not fair to keep him... He is in a tank of 240l or is that still too small for him

hypostomus plecotomus are (or rather, can be) commons, but as its common for fish to be mislabeled, you'd probably be better off to take good clear pics and post them in a pleco forum for identification.

Here a pic of the pleco dont know if its any good, be good to know what kind of pleco it is

ForumRunner_20130411_102326.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130411_102351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130411_102351.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 50
Looks common to me too but there's some Pleco experts that may be able to give you a much more authorative answer :) If it is though you're going to need around a 600L tank...

:'( hoped it wasnt the common pleco...any one can 100% confirm it is a common pleco... Have had the pleco for maybe 4 years since the first setup 120L tank.. (now 240l which is going to be far too small for him).

:'( hoped it wasnt the common pleco...any one can 100% confirm it is a common pleco... Have had the pleco for maybe 4 years since the first setup 120L tank.. (now 240l which is going to be far too small for him).

Post the pic in a pleco/catfish forum and ask them for an ID. It's a pity they grow so big, as they have lovely natures.

Back
Top Bottom