Pleco vs. oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55g that just finished cycling and I was curious what I could do once algae starts to appear... I know some pleco get entirely too large for my tank but I also don't want something small enough to be eat either? Any suggestions?

Also had a food question... Bought some frozen food for my fish and the package says just throw it in but I know from people here you need to thaw it out... What's the best way to go about doing all this?

I would say get a smaller variety of pleco, such as a bristlenose, snowball, gold nugget, or clown. I have heard that Otos are very picky and need a very mature tank and it's hard to keep them fed. I really can't help you with the food.

Put frozen food (alittle they don't need much) in a small 3oz solo cup with very hot water. Let it sit, you can help break it up faster with a toothpick, and once thawed feed. Also don't dump it all in at once. Alittle at a time so they can get it in the water column. Also if they don't take to it at first you haven't just dumped alot of food in the water that will sit there.

Here's a guide that compares types of plecos and the otos: Which algae eating Pleco??? - plecoplanet Forums Algae isn't really something that's expected in an aquarium; I have the normal biofilm and invisible stuff that my shrimp and snails eat but I don't have any of the more common pesky algae at all (knock on wood). Plecos will take to other foods though, fresh veggies and algae wafers and some meaty foods should keep it well fed.

When I feed frozen I cut a cube in half and thaw it in a small cup of tank water. I turn off the filters (so the food doesn't get blown around and so the fish can eat it without having to chase it all over the tank) and pour small portions at a time into the tank (most times I use a plastic spoon). That way I know how much is being eaten and nothing is leftover to cause a mess. I just toss anything that's left over.

Thank you both for your advice. Don't wanna be a pest here but you say a pleco will survive without algae by eating other things?

If that's the case what do you think about the gold nugget pleco(looks really really cool) or would you go with a standard BN pleco?

I defrost in a cup of tank water then strain in a net then give to fish with the net this way most of any filler goes down the drain

Get the fish that pleases you! That is what is the most important. And what I do since I have a longfin albino pleco, 18 oto's, and three whip tail cats is feed zucchini (soften) at least twice a week. I clip it in the tank right before the lights go out and remove it in the morning (unless someone is literally parked on it). I have algae wafers I use also to help suppliment the cory's and loaches too. Pleco's like them also.

Any ad that reads "if the fish dies on the way" would be enough to put me off. I know a large company that does 2 day shipping and they ship fish in 1/2 gallon of water and pure oxygen. That kind of attitude IMO shows little regard to life of the fish.

Yeah.....its a pricey fish. Not as high as the Zebra Pleco, though. On liveaquaria the zebra pleco is like 450 bucks. They do look very cool, though.

Most fish are shipped in far less. I usually bag fish in singles with approximately 6-8 oz of water each. They dont require much and do fine in transit 2-3 days, sometimes longer if there's a holdup.

You should see how fish are shipped from exporters overseas, weight is everything so they pack them in like sardines.

Any ad that reads "if the fish dies on the way" would be enough to put me off.

That is kind of unfair, as there is almost always a chance of a fish dying in transit. For instance, Severum Mama talks about her Death Upon Arrival policy but she takes great care of her fish. I have heard nothing but good feedback from the people who have done business with her. It is something you have to talk about because if something bad happens you don't want someone to receive a dead fish and not know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom