Pleco's and vaccuming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've wondered the same thing: When I'm vacuuming, why does the pleco freak out, while the guppies come taste my arm?

I would guess that a part of it is that plecos are more "wild" than some of the other fish, that have been in captivity forever. But this seems only true in a few cases.

I would think that it's probably a combination of things. Plecos are generally a shy fish as it is so any added noise or disturbance (your arm and vaccuum being in the tank moving about) probably startles them. Also, Plecos are nocturnal for the most part and when you're cleaning the aquarium and doing water changes, you most likely have lights on so maybe that's adding to the stress. Maybe Plecos are just a more sensitive fish.

- Mandy

My pleco is usually in hiding in a cave and is unconcerned with gravel vacs as I think he figures if he can't see me, I can't see him. LOL.

i think it is because maybe your pleco is scared because maybe u never hav vaccumed your tank. have you?

Back
Top Bottom