Plecos Died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I just bought a couple of Plecos for my 30 gallon tank that has 5 African cichlids and 1 catfish. See attachment for fish profiles. I was told that these plecos get along with African cichlids so I bought 2 of them to work on my tank.

I had done a PWC a couple of days before placing them in the tank. When I got them home I sat them in the tank for 30 minutes so the temps. can equalize before I set them free. I do not have a quarantine tane which is now worring me with the health of my other fish.

Anyway, all seemed fine when the lights went out and I went to bed. there was no picking from the other fish, just curious eyes. When I woke up this morning both plecos was dead. I did my samples which is listed below.

Ph: 7.4
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 (It may have been 20, the colors looks the same to me.)
Temp: 78.1

The only problem I see was the Nitrates being high. Does that kill new fish that fast? As far as I can see their bodies does not looked picked on, they look healthy. I called the LFS and they said to bring in a water sample which I am. I asked if I can swap them out or just get my money back and they said it was up to the Manager. Is this common with LFS?

I did a 70% PWC a few minutes ago and hopefully that will take care of the Nitrates.

I am sure someone here can give me a more satisfying answer than these guys at the LFS. Thanks in advance!

Gerald

I bet the fish were not healthy to start with. Any idea what the parameters of the water at the shop were? If they were very different that could easily be the cause.

The nitrates probably weren't the problem. It may have been what Rich said, unhealthy fish, or it may be your acclimation method. The floating to match temperature is a good idea, but you should also slowly mix your water with the LFS water to match up the pH and kH so they don't get an abrupt shock. You can do this while they're floating, by adding a 1/4 cup of water from your tank into their bag every 10-15 minutes or so, or you can use the drip method to slowly match the parameters.

Also, whenever you purchase new fish, when you're done acclimating them, it's best not to dump the LFS water in the tank, as you have no idea what else may be in the water. Net your fish out of the bag or acclimation container, then put them in the tank and let them decide when they're ready to swim free.

Some LFSs have a 3 or up to a 7 day guaruntee on livestock, you may want to check on that.

Good ideas, I will try it out on the next time. Should I just get my money back are try 2 new fish from the same LFS? Probably not, I will have to try another one.

Gerald

Back
Top Bottom