Plumbing in a Fluval canister - Advice pls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperFisch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings,

I'm trying to get parts together for a weekend project to plumb my Fluval 206 canister to a 30gal I haven't yet put to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I understand it:
My 206 canister hoses are 5/8" ID and it flows 205gph.

Anyone have any math on whether or not I'd be restricting my canister input by using a 1/2" bulkhead to 1/2" MPT to 5/8" 90 degree elbow hose barb? This would be my preference if I'm not restricting flow.

Other options are either to use a straight barb (which would require more wall clearance and, I expect, eventually crease my hose) or to build it out as a 3/4" bulkhead with a 3/4" MPT to 3/4" 90 degree barb (which I expect I can force a 5/8" hose onto).

Inflow would be about 3/4 down the tank and outflow would be above waterline bulkhead 1/2" or 3/4" (to match inflow) loc-line.

Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

:thanks:

-SF

Primarily asthetics. I don't like bumpy things above my tank.

Not really sure I understand this. Your tank isn't drilled right? Your still putting the hosing over the top? You could get the clear hosing from HD or Lowes and spray it black or leave it clear. It comes kinda stiff so you could just boil it to loosen it a little so it's easier to work with

Correct, my tank isn't yet drilled. I'm currently using the 206 with the standard over the top inflow and return on my 20 gal. I'm going to be drilling the 30gal for an in-tank overflow to sump and I don't like having things hanging in/out/on/off my tank for no reason and I'm not sure how I'd rig loc-line into my over the top return as is. Additionally I can then do a glass top with a better fit to eliminate evaporation. I currently have black vinyl tubing that I should be able to use.

Is this an unusual undertaking?

Thanks!

-SF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom