Pods ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambulocetus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so i have had some pods running around my tank for like a week now, they look like miniscule white ants. I bought some more live rock from a lfs and now i see hundreds of small "pod-like" things swimming in the current? Three questions i guess :
1. What are the swimming things? (too small to photograph)
2. Are they beneficial?
3. Can you have too many pods etc ?

Thanks you!

- I have a 30 gal, which has been running for 5 weeks, about 25 -30lbs lr

You can never have too many pods, lots of other critters will eat the pods..ie fish, hermits, crabs, shrimp...probably more than I can think of.

I have noticed a decrease in my pod population. I used to be able to see them cruizing around on my lr and sand with ease... now I have to look hard to find any alive. I'm noticing little transparent carcasses suspend in my water from time to time - could these be dead pods?? Will high (20 - 40 ppm) Nitrate levels cause a pod die-off??

try looking at yur tank an hour before lights on.
There may be a few thing affecting pos population. What fish do you have, how much lr? for example.
Not sure about nitrates, but It can only be benneficial to lower them :)

darb2 -

I looked again with the lights off and saw many pods ranging from very small to 2 mm... relief. I have 75 lbs. lr, 2 chromis, 1 maroon clown, and 1 yellow tang and assortment of snails and a few hermits in a 46 gal. Also running a protien skimmer in sump. I've got a RO/DI on the way so water quality should improve upon next change.

P.S. lost a few snails... think due to high Nitrate ... everything else is in check.

Back
Top Bottom