Pom Pom's Crab's Anemone ??? and ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
The first pic is of the 2 Anemones from the Pom Pom Crab.

This looks like the Pom Pom Crabs Anemone(s). The white ones. It got loose after the crab died.

Looked like this for the past ~ month. And sometimes it would be on the glass in about the same spot as the lower pic below next to the snail. 6.6G Edge nano tank.
60074-albums14597-picture71211.jpg

Then I saw this yesterday on the glass.
Today it seems the side nodules are larger, or maybe just more light/more expanded?

60074-albums14597-picture71347.jpg

In this view it seems to be an attachment to the main body
60074-albums14597-picture71348.jpg

But this view seems almost like something is wraped around it as the shape of the parts don't look the same.
60074-albums14597-picture71349.jpg

Anybody have any ideas?

If there are any further significant changes like rapid growth of the nubby shapped part getting much larger than the Anemone part - and it doesn't move, I will post further pics.

Last edited:
Well just read that the Pom Pom crabs have 2 or 3 anemones they use for poms and this one seems like the one on the glass - Triactis producta
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/malacology/invert.htm

They stay small, and note the vesicules (can be rose color) and pseudotentacles -similar anyway.

I also wanted to be sure it wasn't aiptasia, which it doesn't really look like when it is extended.

Reading also (ans saw video of) about how they just tear these little poms in half and make 2 if they ever lose one.

Also the Bunodeopsis anemone is one kind they carry.

Nice read. Very interesting how the crabs carry them around. Wondered if the crabs put them down much (seemed like they could use an extra pair of claws or something for feeding themselves?).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom