Pond 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tizzle240

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good Afternoon Everyone,

As you are all aware at this point, my first koi pond was an epic failure. I am doing triage at this time to keep the survivors alive inside while the pond is repaired.

My original pond was made from a tough stuff stock tank 110g, it had a bed of gravel and a basic pump directly feedign waterfall that i had placed filter pads, and cheap bioballs, ceramic, and carbon. It was built in an area that is about 4 ft wide and 6 ft long about 24-30 deep.

My plan is to remove the stock tank and instead use a proper liner and use the stock tank as a filter tank.

The new pond would still be in the same area, but make it slightly deeper and wider to 6x6 with a 4 ft depth, this should allow me to have closer to 900+ gallon pond instead of 110g pond while using about the same amount of overall yard space.

Based on my calculations it should require a 20 x 20 liner and im assuming a 40x40 underlayment so it can be doubled up.

I have attached a layout of what im hoping to do and would like feedback before i start grabbing materials etc.

Please let me know any comments and suggestions are helpful so dont hold back.

Attachments

• Filter Design.jpg
    Filter Design.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 77
  • Pond Outline.jpg
    Pond Outline.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 83
Oh i forgot one thing,

As far as Animal deterrent this time, i am not sure yet, but wifeys friend is a welder i am thinking of asking her to build me a metal frame that i can wrap a better netting on.

Hello Tizz...

I have a large, stock tank pond and if you use it for a pond or as a filter tank, you'll need to use a liner or coat the inside with an epoxy like "Pond Armor". Otherwise, the zinc that's used in the galvanizing process can leach into the water. While this doesn't present a problem for large animals, even a trace of zinc in the pond water is toxic to small things, like fish. This doesn't happen with all tanks, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

B

Hello Tizz...

I have a large, stock tank pond and if you use it for a pond or as a filter tank, you'll need to use a liner or coat the inside with an epoxy like "Pond Armor". Otherwise, the zinc that's used in the galvanizing process can leach into the water. While this doesn't present a problem for large animals, even a trace of zinc in the pond water is toxic to small things, like fish. This doesn't happen with all tanks, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

B

Thanks BBradbury, This particular stock tank is made from recycled LDP would that still need to be treated? i only ask as i didnt do it when i was using this stock tank as my original pond and im wondering if thats part of the problem i had.

Back
Top Bottom