Pond/Assassin snails in new planted cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toasted Tyrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At the beginning of my fishless cycle (2 weeks ago) I put half a dozen plants in the tank. No snails from these. 3 days ago I added some more and last night the snails started appearing. About a dozen were in there this morning and they seem to be surviving the nitrite spike. I've read a lot about controlling these snails and plan to use the Assassin Snail method because I was planning to put some snails in there anyway (but just not the uninvited type). Since these small snails are surviving/multiplying, would Assassin Snails also survive? I want to be rid of the uninvited snails before I fully stock the tank.

Thx.

If you want to be rid of them now, go buy a 2-liter pop bottle of plain carbonated soda water. Pour it all in at once. The CO2 levels will go crazy and all the snails will die.

Nice. I like that idea rather than dumping a load of poisons in there. The plants would have a few minutes of ecstasy as well!

Would it affect the cycling bacteria though? Would it kill any snail eggs?

I'm not 100% certain about the cycling bacteria. I thought about it for a little while before I suggested it and I don't *think* that it would, from a scientific standpoint. I can't think of a reason why adding CO2 would hurt them. In fact CO2 is part of their energy source during nitrification. You could always turn off the filter while you do it, as if you were using hydrogen peroxide. I'm also not sure on the snail eggs. Such a helpful answer I know :(

I have never tried the method therenjen suggested but what you can do instead of assassin snails is get a piece of cucumber and put it in the tank for the night. In the morning, just take it out and it should be covered in pest snails. You can then just dump the cucumber and all into the trash. Keep doing that until all snails are gone.
Do you have fish in the tank ATM?

I'd read that lightly boiled lettuce would attract them. Cucumber sounds easier. There aren't any fish in the tank yet but I expect the cycle will be complete on Sat/Sun. I'd like to start stocking it straight after that.

Thx.

Boiled lettuce will work as well. I would not add fish until you sort out the snail problem. Reason being is because once you have the fish, you need to start feeding them. Any food the fish don't eat will be eaten by the snails. Now the snails have something the live and breed on. When you don't have the fish, they have no food.

Used the cucumber method and I seem to be rid of them. Thanks for the advice both.

Back
Top Bottom