Pond foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueCrystalMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had foam on the pond at the bottom of the falls sporadically... today it seems to be REAL bad... It also collects under the umbrella fountain... What is causing this? The water is clear, the fish are seemingly happy and healthy, the plants are thriving... anything to worry about?

pondfoam1.jpg

pondfoam2.jpg

No problem...

The 2nd thing I would ask about is additives. Have you used any kind of anti-algae treatements? Because they can cause foaming.

Nah... its all still natural. The foam has been there pretty much since day one... but now it seems to be getting worse.

I did notice bright green algae on the falls though. I'm going to be cleaning it up tonight after work... rinsing the biofalls and the lavarock and filter pad... and the stream rocks.

I'm also going to let it run 24/7...

Wow...got me then. I even called a local pond shop that has been reccomended to me on several occations. They said that foam can also be caused by fish waste. Is it heavily stocked. Also..what kind of filter is on it.

Squishy

They also said that you can use a product called "No more foam" to get rid of it. There are also other brands on the market.

it could be from plan decay. and dang squishy a 7100 gallon pond. thats like as big as my house :)

Three six inch Koi, and maybe five or six small goldfish... nothing that I would consider 'heavily stocked'... thanks for checking locally... my guys are all clueless.

I'm thinking of checking out the 'Foam-B-Gone' (just made that up) and a bit of algaecide. The bottom looks good... not liking whats happening on the falls and in the streams.

Krap,

LOL...yeah, its got a little size to it. Its 22ft long, 15ft wide and an average depth of about 33 inches. Its big enough that I could get on a pool raft and paddle around if I wanted too.

Blue,

No problem...sorry I couldnt help more.

Update: What do you think about this? I have a buddy in South Africa that puts in ponds for a living. He just told me that that's a sign of dirty water... not dirty in a bad way, mind you... just part of nature. He recommended swapping out 15% of the water every week with fresh water. Do you agree with that? Makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I've read anywhere that people replace their water.

Water changes make sense on any closed system. Otherwise, they become a big trashcan. At the same time..I think it can be impractical on a large scale system. If were talking 200.00 or less, yeah....I probably would. With one on the scale that I have, I think it should be stable enough to do one a month during the summer. The winter, everything slows down...their metabolic rate, the feeding in the pond, and the amount of bacteria in the water. So I would think you could ease off in the winter. Thats just my take on it.

Thanks. Let it run all night as suggested by you guys and woke up this morning to a huge mass of foam... gonna swap out some of the water tonight. It does make sense now, what the cause is... the foam looks slightly dirty.

As an aside... saw a ton of baby somethings in there last night. I'm assuming they are goldfish...

So basically your pond has created its own protien skimmer! Its removing the DOC's from the water own its own...the problem is that it has no where to dispose of them...

I get foamy water every spring, lasts 2-3 weeks, then stops. This is the Only time of year I change any water. I add nothing to the pond to get rid of it. My theory is the once the submerged plants get growing well, the foam stops. Anacharis, Valisineria, millfoil, stuff like that. marginals, floaters, and water lilies have no effect on foamy water.

7 years with this pond, mind you all, only do wc in the early spring. keep LOTS of submerged oxygenators. when they get too big, remove large pieces of them. This takes the place of water changes, IMO. I remove large quantities of plant material (pure organics, understand?).

A pond is NOT an entirely closed system. It rains, pond overflows, ergo nature's water changes.

BCman, my bet is this, you change 15% (or whatever), foam will cut back for 2-3 days, then come back same as it is.

Put in some submerged oxegenators, do nothing else, foam gone in 2-3 weeks, depending on how much veg. you put in.

I have ALOT of floating hyacinths, an iris, getting out of control lilypads, and some oxygenators... we'll see tomorrow morning. I cleared the huge lump of foam out this morning and the rest seemed to clear itself right up.

I didnt know that about the submerged plants...Good thing to keep in mind. I only have a few right now. I guess I need to load up on them! (which I was going to do anyway) :D

BC, Squishy,

Sorry bout the tone of my previous post, it was kind of preachy.

In any case, most all my theories apply well to my pond, but I really think that almost all ponds are different, and that each individual must find out what works in their situation. Also, (and this I think is most important) I think that folks have more problems in their first season than in any following seasons. I'm guessing that a new pond needs to find its own "balance" and that this takes a while. When I think back, my first season was very frustrating. MAjor Algae probs, foamy water, and I can't remeber what all, but my wife was ready to kill me. Pond looked bad more days than it looked good. PAtience is your #1 requirement at this point, IMO.

BCman, I just recalled you have koi. Koi will destroy many types of oxegenators, especially those with fine leaves. I heartily recommend valisineria sp. (particularly Jungle Val) for your situation, they are very thick leaved and tough sons-a-guns.

Interestingly enough, I wake up to a large mound of foam beneath the main falls. I remove that, and the rest disippates and I'm good til the following day. I took your advice and didn't do the water change... want to see what will happen.

Regarding the algae... the surfaces of the falls are getting really bright green algae, but the pond and surfaces within aren't. The UV is working fine it seems judging by the way the pond itself looks... what gives with the stringy stuff?

Its called hair algae. Its feeding off of the Nitrates in the water. What is the sunlight situation on the falls?

No problem Cor! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom