Pond heating system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ms Jacki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the planning stages of building an in-ground outdoor pond for a pair of monster fish. I'm intending this pond to be approximately 3000 gallons (or more! if I can). I am hoping to make it about 3 feet deep in the shallow ends, and approximately five in the deep parts. I have plenty of space in my back yard. I've been looking extensively from geothermal heating to horse trough heaters to swimming pool heaters to even heaters for hot tubs with adjustable thermostats, and haven't found anything I've been looking for. I've even been considering just using many of those tubular heaters normally used in aquariums. I also could make an above-ground pond that can sit on my covered back porch. I'd rather not overwinter these fish indoor when they're in adulthood, as it would be rather uncomfortable, assuming I could catch them at all.

I need the pond to be warm during winter, hopefully to be about 70 degrees. It can be harsh here, but it's usually about 30 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit in winter. It can get colder, though.

I can put an insulated "lid" type thing over the pond to prevent snow, leaves, and other things, so an above-ground heater might even be an option.

Does anyone know of a heater (or heaters, if need be) that can be purchased or created at home? I would prefer if the heater(s) was no more than a few hundred dollars. I know it is possible to have a temperate pond here in Idaho, as people have done it. The information they possess just hasn't been disclosed to me just yet.

:thanks:

Sears sells 1500 watt floating heaters. Depending on how warm you want the water and how high you can stand your electric bill you could get more than one. They are about $100.

Back
Top Bottom