Pond HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I just aquired a house with a pond. I have calculated it out to be about 700 gallons. At one time I was told it had fish but they were mistaken for sushi by the local racoons.

The pond has a water fall at the opposite end of the pump. It is about 30" higher than the pump and does not appear to be changing the water enough. I looked at the pump and it is a little giant waterfall pump rated at 1450 gph. The pond is full of algae (hairy green kind) which I am getting rid of with some algae remove. It has cleared up allot in the last week so I am hoping it will continue.

My ?'s are

Should I invest in another pump and submersible filter so the water will flow more.

What is the best way to keep the Racoons out. Anyone use a scarecrow?

Thanks for your help.

Did you clean the pump out? My pond pump clogs up regularly, I have to unplug it (safety first!), then it is pretty obvious where all the gunk is, clean it out with fingers, brush, or screwdriver, being careful not to break anything.

I clean out the string algae by hand, stick or net. Just climb on in and go to town! If you're gonna have a pond, don't be scared to get dirty. chemical algae removers should be a last resort, once the algae dies off, it just breaks down into more nutrients to feed the next batch of algae.

In so far as fish, go to the lfs, get 1 buck worth of feeder goldfish. try them first, see how they do in the pond. Provided they live, and no critters get them, then you can think about getting someting more expensive and prettier.

I have losses to wildlife, I just write it off to natural selection, the critters were here first. But you can put some rocks in the pond, make hiding places for the fish, the smart ones will hide and live, the dumb ones, raccoon food!

HD or bookstore shhould have some water garden basics type books for less than 15 bucks, I'd get one of those too, good to have a reference around.

There is nothing you can do as far as racoons, they are smart enough to get around anything you will do to try to make the pond safe. I agree that depth and hiding places are the only safe places for your fish.

If you attach "Quilt Batting" around your pump w/small bungie cords, alot of the algae and gunk will attract itself to the quilt batting and help clean/clear the pond.
Every few days, remove the batting, rinse it off w/your garden hose and wrap it back around your pump.
It's amazing how fast it gets dirty.
Try it....you'll like the results.
Good-Luck

Thanks for all the info. I cleaned out the pump and it still seems like there is not enough flow. Should I add another pump just to circulate the water. I was thinking abour buying one of those biofilter (bucket type) and hook up a second pump. Any ideas would be appreciated. I will add some of the batting to the pump this week and see just how quick it gets dirty.

No need to buy a bucket biofilter, just make your own. I just did and will probably make a thread about it soon.

To filter the water, all I did was take a plastic tub, and put a pvc drain at the bottom. I put a layer of rocks, a layer of pebbles, and on top a layer of sand. This effectively filtered out the floating algae that got sucked through my filter.

As far as the bucket filter, buy yourself another plastic tub with a lid. Fill the bottom with bioballs. Then put the pump in, put a sponge over the top, then cut large holes in the top and close it up.

Thanks Roger, Do you recommend a separate pump for the bio filter bucket? This way I would have one for the waterfall and one for the filter?

Your one pump put into said filter box should be fine I think. Make sure it is an easily accessable place because as posted above these things clog up fast. I was cleaning my sponge every day for a couple of weeks when my pond was just starting up this year.

hair algea

i would not invest in a new pump until you try this. I have 1700 gal pond that has not had hair algea in a coulple years. This year I got it. I was told that once you have it you always have it. YOu need to get "Pond Balance" by Interpet.You treat the pond for 3 week in a row and then monthly, forever. I did this and it cleared up in about 2 weeks. Also, that hair algea clogs your filter tremendously!!!!!!! Since the treatments, I have not had to clean my filter except for once. I was cleaning it weekly.
Bib, big difference.

Give it at least 2 weeks.

tmcpeek,

Clean the pond and pump as suggested.

As for the raccon you can put some netting over the pond. Helps with birds too. You can get this at a Lowes or Home Depot. Its out in the gardening section. Its used for deer and bird control. Or you can search the web for a motion activated water "cannon" that will spray the intruder was water when detected. This keeps most critters out. INcluding the owner if they forget its there.

para

Back
Top Bottom