Pond I have been building

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How does turtles and minnows come into a newly built pond??

I guess the turtle walked from another pond. My other pond where the pier is had 7 turtles at one time. Now only has 3. So, maybe it came from there. It would be a long walk but maybe instinct kicked in. I really don't know. The minnows were probably on the legs of birds. Just got picked up in a stocked pond and then planted in mine.

Last edited:
It's a color that inhibits algae growth. The dye is food grade. So it's safe to eat. Basically food coloring.

Ok I'm new here. First of all amazing job. Three questions pop up. 1) How do you filter it? 2) Where do you get the fish you stock in it? 3) How do you keep it from freezing?

It has no filter. It's probably 50,000 gallons or more. So water volume takes care of filtration. The fish are bought from a company that just sells fish for ponds and lakes. The weather here doesn't really freeze for very long. But water volume again keeps it from freezing. The pond with the pier is about 30 ft deep now.

Bige said:
Almost done.

That is so cool man. So what type of fish will go in there? After they reproduce some, you going to fish?

Thats so great that you have propeety that large to even make a pond!

Gboy66 said:
That is so cool man. So what type of fish will go in there? After they reproduce some, you going to fish?

Thats so great that you have propeety that large to even make a pond!

In the pond with the pier, there are perch and blue cats. We fish sometimes. They are fun to catch. The big cats put up a good fight. In the pond that I just finished digging, I want to try bass. That will be fun.

That is awesome man! I would love to do something like this.

I have tried koi before. They get eaten by hawks and other critters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom